PDA

View Full Version : Water accumulating on glass underside of tank =(

Frostyfishman
07/04/2016, 03:07 AM
I went on a two day vacation over the weekend and I came back to a leak on the underside of the tank. The whole panel on the underside left of the brace is wet. I moved the sump around before I left. The system is soft plumbed. I need to know how to isolate the leak. I am afraid that the tank could fail so im considering breaking the system down. I can move my clowns into a twenty but my kole tang would have to go back to the fish store :sad2: . Is it possible I damaged the bulkheads. I dont think the softplumbing is broke because the water would have to defy gravity and travel up the bulkhead, however it could be the bulkhead. Breaking down a 75 seems like a massive task. I can't have this ticking time bomb go off on my hardwood floor. I dried it off and killed the sump. Thankfully i turned off the fuge light before leaving or it may have caught on fire. I'm not sure what to do. I definitely can't go out and get a new aquarium right now. :facepalm:

Frostyfishman
07/04/2016, 03:28 AM
I have three possible problems that I can think of. Leaking seal between the glass and frame. Leaking bulkhead. One other possibility is that the skimmer overflowed but the lid and tiny holes kind of prevent it from spraying. I want it to be the bulkheads. I really need to isolate where the problems origin is before I decide what to do. Again I think i can rule out plumbing because it is below the glass coming from the bulkheads and that would require water to defy gravity.

Gaxmode
07/04/2016, 05:32 AM
Try to straighten the standpipes and tighten the bulkheads. Sometimes when I mess with my return placement it dislodges the rubber gasket and causes a small leak until I fix it.

Ron Reefman
07/04/2016, 07:55 AM
Dry up everything. Finish with paper towels and even a fan. Make it clean, wipe it down with a towel that has fresh water on it so no salt water film is left behind.

Then add paper towels in the areas you suspect. Use some masking tape to hold paper towels in place if you have to. Keep an eye on it and identify where the leaks. Then you can decide what to do.

Sk8r
07/04/2016, 09:12 AM
SOmetimes water splash can follow a cord or tube exterior to end up where it shouldn't be. Look at the whole arrangement. SKimmers do overflow at a powerout, especially AquaCs and Coralife.

Frostyfishman
07/04/2016, 12:54 PM
I placed the dry paper towels. Everything is dry as a bone. I suspect it was indeed the skimmer bubbling up and splashing on the glass or a cord like sk8 said. I will continue to monitor but I think I am out of the woods. That was a really disconcerting feeling. I am removing my fuge light for now. It was off went I went on vacation. I think it could have caught fire if I left it on and all the water was running down it as it is just a clamp light and not water proof. Thanks for the ideas guys.