PDA

View Full Version : Overflow bulkheads

jharding08
07/05/2016, 12:56 PM
I bought a 48"x48"x24" tank (240g) with center overflow that has two 3/4" bulkheads and one 1" bulkhead in the overflow. The two 3/4 were used for returns and the one 1" was the drain.

I plan on running a Waveline DC6000 return pump at 1585 GPH for now and eventually moving up to a Reeflo Dart.

I doubt just one 1" bulkhead can handle 1500+ GPH, should I use them all as drains and then just run the returns over the back?

FirstContact
07/05/2016, 01:12 PM
You could set up a beananimal style overflow with three drains and have the returns over the top. Or have two more holes drilled for new returns!

jharding08
07/05/2016, 01:21 PM
You could set up a beananimal style overflow with three drains and have the returns over the top. Or have two more holes drilled for new returns!

I can do bean animal with two 3/4" and one 1" drain? Would the 1" be the siphon?

FirstContact
07/05/2016, 02:45 PM
BeanAnimal set up uses three 1" drains. You could either have the holes drilled larger or try a set up where you use the 1" inch drain for the full siphon and the 3/4" for the partial siphon, and the second 3/4" for emergency overflow. I would certainly run it through several tests before I trusted it on my floors without looking. Maybe those with more experience working with beananimal style overflows could chime in. I run a herbie style system. Two 1" drains with siphon and no emergency overflow. Haven't had a problem in nine years.

jharding08
07/11/2016, 01:54 PM
What would be the ideal hole amount and sizes within the 11"x8" overflow, if I wanted to use the two 3/4" return holes in the side of the overflow for return lines, but also wanted to use a Dart return pump?

I could do one 1" or bigger bulkhead for the return and then T is off to two 3/4" lines for the return

For drainage, I would need at least two 1" bulkheads, right?

Do you think if I got the holes in the bottom of the overflow all drilled for 1" bulkheads, I could run two drains and one return on a 2000 GPH+ pump?