PDA

View Full Version : 46 Bowfront Setup/Drilling

kzeller
07/05/2016, 04:42 PM
I was given a 46 bowfront that I plan on setting up with mostly LPS and about a dozen fish or so. It appears that it is an Aqueon? There is a sticker on the bottom that says DO NOT DRILL - Tempered. Obviously I know what that means, and if I was stupid enough to want to bottom drill a tank this small I would be crazy. The wonderful friend that gave this water box to me told me that all of the glass was tempered, but I feel that it is not. Can anybody provide some insight here. I am ready to get this thing off the ground (no pun intended) but I don't want to blow up my tank. Also, the center brace is broken off. Will this be ok or is there a fix I need to do before I get to far?

Potatohead
07/05/2016, 04:54 PM
I have a 36 version of the same tank and Aqueon told me it could be fully tempered, it really depends on the glass the factory has at the time. If you have some polarized sunglasses and you can put the tank in sunlight, you may be able to tell.

I don't know that I would use it without the center brace anyway, it was put there for a reason originally.

kzeller
07/05/2016, 04:56 PM
I have a 36 version of the same tank and Aqueon told me it could be fully tempered, it really depends on the glass the factory has at the time. If you have some polarized sunglasses and you can put the tank in sunlight, you may be able to tell.

I don't know that I would use it without the center brace anyway, it was put there for a reason originally.

The back is painted black? Would the sunglasses in the sun thing still work. I assume you are referring to the rainbow effect like the car window? Ideas on fixing the brace?