PDA

View Full Version : dehumidifier water

pells61
07/07/2016, 05:01 PM
Hello,

If i run a dehumidifier in my sump room can i use that condensate to fill my kalk bucket and pump it back into the fish tank? the condenser coil is aluminum.

Best,

fishchef
07/07/2016, 08:49 PM
Usually the coils are copper...Bad. Even other materials will add metals to your water. Aluminum is not good for corals.

bertoni
07/07/2016, 10:15 PM
People have tested the water from a dehumidifier and found it's fairly high in TDS. The Kalk will do some purification, but personally, I wouldn't trust the result. You could run the water through a DI filter, but you'd probably want to buy the resin in bulk.

tzylak
07/08/2016, 12:29 PM
Condensers do their cooling thing but they also capture a large percentage of particles from the air. They are effective at filtering the air with the condensate being the rinsing medium. I'd test the TDS of that water, expecting higher readings than tap . . . .
What would be your objective? -Save on RODI water?

Dan_P
07/08/2016, 07:45 PM
I like the idea even after reading the responses to your question. It might work if you filtered the incoming air, maybe with a ten micron filter, and scrupulously cleaned and kept clean the cooling coils.

Mr.Shrimps
07/08/2016, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't do it. I was surprised to hear that my father uses dehumidifier water for his home brew but when I looked in the container that collects that water the sides were all slimy and brown.

Mark426
07/09/2016, 05:20 AM
nope