PDA

View Full Version : Question about feeding three tiny chromis.

KMS.Kyle
07/07/2016, 05:34 PM
Hello,

I'm away this weekend and I have a friend watching my fish - I have him feeding my fish a mix of brine and other frozen foods but my concern is my auto feeder which drops some nice (and small) pellets into the tank - The three chromis I got a couple days ago are a bit too small to eat the pellets surprisingly - when my firefin has no issue what so ever and his mouth looks like the same size..

My question is this - when and if they're hungry, will they find a way to gobble a pellet or will they always leave them? Any suggestions? Crushing up the pellets? Or does this create too much food waste

Thank you for your time!

Remy LeBeau
07/07/2016, 05:57 PM
If you've got the time, instead of crushing up the pellets just cut them in half with a razor blade. Don't put too many pellets in the feeder either. If you've got four fish in the tank then just portion out maybe two pellets a day for each fish. This should hold them over until you get back.
Just out of curiosity though, how long will you be gone for? Fish can actually go quite awhile without eating and still be ok. Three or four days is nothing, but if your going to be gone for a week or more then an automatic feeder is definitely the way to go.

heathlindner25
07/07/2016, 06:07 PM
Not really sure what to tell you, chromis really prefer to eat at the top of the water column, have you tried flakes?

KMS.Kyle
07/07/2016, 07:53 PM
I have quite a few fish actually.. All listed in my sig.

I'm gone for 3 days - but my friend is staying here and will be feeding meaty food once a day.

The feeder is a "2nd feeding" thing.

Sk8r
07/07/2016, 08:27 PM
Ziploc bag, hammer, reduced pellet size, but adjust the aperture of the feeder accordingly. Plus no chromis can starve in 3 days.