PDA

View Full Version : SPS "Melting"

xenia2
07/08/2016, 07:06 PM
One my unknown SPS corals is bleaching in some spots(it's like melting). Before you ask, I don't test my water, therefore I don't have the parameters. I wonder if anyone have seem this kind of problem before and what are the causes?

I appreciate if you have any information.

thanks

Hentz
07/08/2016, 07:16 PM
Well without parameters is going to be really really difficult to help you identify the problem.

rovster
07/08/2016, 07:16 PM
Sounds like RTN. Kiss it goodbye...

vinhle00
07/09/2016, 01:31 AM
If the tissue is just peeling off rapidly leaving just a white or green skeleton then its Rapid tissue necrosis or RTN, once RTN sets in its unlikely the coral will survive. The problem is not testing. It's very difficult if at all possible to keep sps without regular testing because the cause are usually swings in one or few parameters.

organism
07/09/2016, 04:39 PM
Before you ask, I don't test my water, therefore I don't have the parameters. I wonder if anyone have seem this kind of problem before and what are the causes?

The cause is most likely that you don't test your water and don't have the parameters.

Kind of like if I walked into my dentist's office and told him I don't own a toothbrush but need him to tell me why my teeth are bad.

ontop27
07/09/2016, 07:12 PM
The cause is most likely that you don't test your water and don't have the parameters.

Kind of like if I walked into my dentist's office and told him I don't own a toothbrush but need him to tell me why my teeth are bad.
Crystal ball generally helps [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

xenia2
07/10/2016, 03:15 PM

A good dentist will able to tell what wrong (for example, root canal, etc) with your teeth, he will recommend a toothbrush to keep your teeth healthy.

xenia2
07/10/2016, 03:25 PM
I was wondering if people experienced with this symptom before. And yes, testing water will tell water parameters and adjust the levels as appropriate.

nemodan
07/11/2016, 10:15 AM
I was wondering if people experienced with this symptom before. And yes, testing water will tell water parameters and adjust the levels as appropriate.

From the most experienced sps keepers to the new ones WE ALL experience RTN/STN.

It will be good if you test your water for at least : Salinity, Alk, Ca and Mag. Then experts will be able to help/teach you.

Best

Ps: my dentist will always find something to bill me, independently that I clean my teeth. LOL

organism
07/11/2016, 11:56 AM
A good dentist will able to tell what wrong (for example, root canal, etc) with your teeth, he will recommend a toothbrush to keep your teeth healthy.

Yet even if he knew everything there was to know about reefkeeping he'd still tell you your issue is you don't test water parameters.

jbvdhp
07/11/2016, 06:03 PM

The point is its difficult to tell without knowing the key aspects of your system, namely the big 3 parameters. Even then it could be a crap shoot. Plenty of us who do everything correctly and some SPS "just" die.

xenia2
08/06/2016, 04:19 PM
I siphoned the deteriorating tissue off and now the healthy tissue is coming back :)

jrpdriver
08/06/2016, 04:37 PM

OK, then here you go......I recommend you test your parameters to keep your coral happy

Jim Z.
08/07/2016, 05:51 AM
SPS corals cannot tolerate sudden changes in water chemistry. Always do some basic testing especially for calcium and alkalinity. When these change suddenly, parts or the entire colony dies..................Jim

kevin_e
08/07/2016, 07:10 AM
Sure, and a good reefer could tell you what's wrong with your coral (RTN, STN, starvation etc.). A good reefer will still recommend testing your water to keep your coral healthy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

xenia2
08/07/2016, 08:33 AM
i have nothing against testing, just don't like to do it. I have the Elos mini with all SPS stocking, 5 gallons water change every week and using the B-Ionic stuff.

All seems happy for last 4 years.

broke1
08/07/2016, 09:02 AM
I can't believe this is even a thread. I will sum it up to the fact you have something wrong. That's based off the details you gave us, which were corals dieing. Now if you were to give all of us a little more to go on we might be able to elaborate a little more.

nemodan
08/07/2016, 10:45 AM
i have nothing against testing, just don't like to do it. I have the Elos mini with all SPS stocking, 5 gallons water change every week and using the B-Ionic stuff.

All seems happy for last 4 years.

I need to lear how do you know how much you need to dose of B-Ionic without testing Alk.

In other words, how do you know how much to dose without knowing how much do you need to dose.

xenia2
08/07/2016, 03:27 PM
I need to lear how do you know how much you need to dose of B-Ionic without testing Alk.

In other words, how do you know how much to dose without knowing how much do you need to dose.

I blindly put in 5ml weekly :)

Flippers4pups
08/07/2016, 03:41 PM
To have any success, short term and long term in keeping fish, let alone coral, you MUST test your water! Not doing this on a regular basis is just asking for failure and throwing money (time) way.

Test your water and keep a log.

Dose nothing till you know for sure what your water prameters are. Then dose what's needed.

joshky
08/07/2016, 04:01 PM
I'd love to see your reef, sounds like a great tank.

Peter Eichler
08/07/2016, 04:15 PM
If you can't take 20 seconds to at least test your alkalinity with a simple test kit like an API you should probably consider some hobbies that don't involved living creatures :p

xenia2
08/10/2016, 05:32 PM
I'd love to see your reef, sounds like a great tank.

Not a good camera, images are little washed out; not true color and did not use photoshop.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2398&pictureid=75942

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2398&pictureid=75943

xenia2
08/10/2016, 05:51 PM
I don't understand why you all freaking out, because I don't test my water. There are no written rules of how to keep corals

Jim Z.
08/10/2016, 06:27 PM
"There are no written rules of how to keep corals" There's actually a lot of info out there including Borneman's tome on corals where he stresses the importance of good husbandry and stability in water quality that keeps corals like Acropora healthy. Your tank looks good, but there's something going on that is causing your coral to lose tissue. Many aquarium and reef retailers will test your water for free. Doing some baseline tests for several days will reveal how much alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium are being used by the corals over time. Then you can figure out how much of the appropriate additive to add. My best guess is that your tank experienced a spike in alkalinity. Is your tank low in nutrients? If so, slight changes in alkalinity and or calcium can cause the symptoms that you observed with one of your corals. Remember--stability and water quality are essential for success with SPS.....................Jim

Mr.Fishtank
08/10/2016, 06:48 PM
+1 for testing. How do you even know how much 2 part to dose if you don't even know what your levels are at, or how much the corals are consuming per day.

reefmutt
08/11/2016, 04:00 PM
Wow. Nice tank!
Four years without knowing what is going on in there, just good growth and health.....
I'm stunned.
Xenia, you are quite simply the luckiest reefer that ever lived.
But it would seem that things may be catching up with you.
Stn or rtn is something we all experience and the causes can be so varied that it's impossible to tell you how to 'brush your teeth' without knowing the causes in your particular situation.
I wish you continued good luck.
You have a nice tank.. I hope it stays that way.