PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new 40g

Chutton47
07/09/2016, 04:25 PM
I currently have a 20g AIO running and I am slightly upgrading to 40b with a 40b sump. Plumbing everything out now and looking to be up and running by the end of the weekend. However the wife has laid down the law and said no to both systems running, it is a condo to be fair. When everything is up can I just transfer everything over to the new system? Only have 20lbs of LR and will have about 50lbs in the new system between the sump and DT. How bad can this end up being?

SaltyMember
07/09/2016, 05:23 PM
If the new rock is not cured I would not add it since you will likely get an ammonia spike. Maybe put the new rock in a bin with saltwater, heater and power head until your readings are good. But go ahead and add the old rock to the new display. I personally wouldn't add all the sand from the old setup to the new one but would add some if it to seed the sand in the new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostyfishman
07/09/2016, 08:15 PM
If the new rock is not cured I would not add it since you will likely get an ammonia spike. Maybe put the new rock in a bin with saltwater, heater and power head until your readings are good. But go ahead and add the old rock to the new display. I personally wouldn't add all the sand from the old setup to the new one but would add some if it to seed the sand in the new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perhaps the fish store will hold on to your livestock