PDA

View Full Version : Leds flashing after powering off. Meanwell and apex.

hobbzz
07/09/2016, 08:20 PM
I've read a few old threads about this issue, but none that I could find had a solution. I'm using meanwell drivers (60-48d) on an apex, and after the leds have turned off, both the power to the drivers and output from the vs ports, they flash. Not just once. They continue to flash once about every 30-45 minutes, just a second or two at a time. Anyone ever come up with a concrete reason why this happens, and more importantly a solution? Or a least a work-around? Thanks in advance!

hobbzz
07/10/2016, 06:47 PM
Anyone?

n2585722
07/10/2016, 07:32 PM
This will happen with these drivers if you remove power from the driver when the LED's are not lit. Just leave them powered and use the 0-10 volt signal to turn them off.

oreo57
07/10/2016, 08:59 PM
This will happen with these drivers if you remove power from the driver when the LED's are not lit. Just leave them powered and use the 0-10 volt signal to turn them off.
Thought you couldn't dim these to zero?

n2585722
07/10/2016, 09:01 PM
You cannot. They light at about 10% below that they are off.

oreo57
07/10/2016, 09:10 PM
I've read a few old threads about this issue, but none that I could find had a solution. I'm using meanwell drivers (60-48d) on an apex, and after the leds have turned off, both the power to the drivers and output from the vs ports, they flash. Not just once. They continue to flash once about every 30-45 minutes, just a second or two at a time. Anyone ever come up with a concrete reason why this happens, and more importantly a solution? Or a least a work-around? Thanks in advance!
I gave up on these drivers while ago so I can only offer one thing I remember. Don't dim past 10% before shutting them off.

hobbzz
07/11/2016, 05:31 AM

So leave them powered 24/7? Or simply turn of them off using the ports first? Just want to clarify in case leaving them powered all the time is not recommended. Thanks!

hobbzz
07/11/2016, 05:31 AM
I gave up on these drivers while ago so I can only offer one thing I remember. Don't dim past 10% before shutting them off.

Thanks! I believe I'm already doing this, but I'll check when I get home.

n2585722
07/11/2016, 05:36 AM
When I used these I left them powered all the time. I now use the Meanwell LDD drivers instead and I still leave them powered up. In fact the 12 volt supply that I use also powers the 9 fans on the system. The strings of six LED's use a 24 volt supply instead. The 12 volt supply powers the strings with 3 or less LED's. The LDD drivers are PWM instead of 0-10 volt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hobbzz
07/11/2016, 10:41 AM
Ok thanks!

oreo57
07/11/2016, 11:27 AM
I've just read in a fish tank forum how they were able to solve the flash by turning off the power supply before the LEDs are dimmed to "0". I'll give this a try and check back in. Thanks for the help guys.

Bah. After some testing and more reading I've come up with: "That flash? Yeah Meanwells do that..."

There is a "solution" here.. but pretty annoying:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=66070.0

As I assume you don't want to buy new drivers, you have one option: add another relay.

1)

If the drivers can run without any load attached to them, just disconnect the leds before you cut ac power and add a bleed resistor before the 2nd relay (10k 1/2 watt or thereabouts). The datasheet should be very clear on this.

YMMV....