PDA

View Full Version : media reactors

gmlee
07/09/2016, 10:18 PM
Looking for some ideas on a media reactor for my 40 gallon. Don't have a sump. Are the majority of them put in a sump or directly in your tank? Looking at a reef octopus 800 with the pump. I believe it can be hung outside the tank. Just not sure how these reactors would fit my tank and then of course the placement of the pump within. Mainly looking to hold GFO and possibly trying bio pellets at a later time so need something for all media.

gmlee
07/09/2016, 11:58 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm now thinking of just taking out my filter box that comes with my tunze 9004 and putting in an innovation marine reactor where I can still run all media types. Too much time to think...... love it when it's Xmas all the time for me.

billdogg
07/10/2016, 07:21 AM
Take a look at the TLF 150 reactors. They are HOB and will run off a minijet 400 pump. I have one thats now probably 20 years old and going strong although I've ditched the pump finally and put it in-sump for GFO in my 120 DT.

gmlee
07/10/2016, 07:24 AM
Kind of prefer the innovative marine ones. Anybody have them?

billdogg
07/10/2016, 02:15 PM
Why? Not picking on you - just curious - with the TLF 150 going for less than $50 and the IM reactors going for $130 I'm not sure I understand the benefit.

tonysi
07/10/2016, 05:26 PM
I have a TLF hanging on my sump with gfo in it. No problems with it for me and it was heck of a lot cheaper than other reactors, not a big deal if it poops out cause it wasn't that big of a hit to the wallet.

gmlee
07/10/2016, 06:21 PM
Just see what everyone is using. ..thanks

gmlee
07/10/2016, 09:24 PM
Seems I have a choice on whether I want a hang on or one in tank. As I said I don't have a sump. If I purchase the innovative reactor and replace it with my tunze filter it would give me a much smaller footprint in the tank and sitting beside my skimmer. I'm very familiar with the TlF but it comes down to the convenience and how clean it will look in tank.

gmlee
07/10/2016, 09:59 PM
Not sure if the TLF reactors are really meant for pellets either.

gmlee
07/11/2016, 09:49 PM
Hmmm so only a few actually use reactors...........

d2mini
07/12/2016, 06:28 AM
Hmmm so only a few actually use reactors...........

In smaller tanks a lot of people use media in filter bags instead of reactors.
But they have sumps. The majority of us do.
For no sump most will use a hang-on.
In my nano I use media in a filter bag stuffed into one of the filter compartments of the tank. I have an IM 25g Lagoon.

gmlee
07/12/2016, 07:23 AM
Well ...... bags are good for carbon but I'm thinking of getting proper use of my GFO and pellets u need a reactor.

Reef Frog
07/12/2016, 09:51 AM
Not sure if the TLF reactors are really meant for pellets either.

TLF makes a very inexpensive kit that consists of a mesh screen that needs a simple cutting with scissors and it will work fine for biolellets (but you need a pump with a more powerful flow rate). The manual is available in pdf format on the Marine Depot site and it describes how it works & what you need.

The 150 has given me excellent service for years in the HOB role. I can't really think if any single piece of optional equipment that has done more to keep my tank in good shape for so little money spent....

gmlee
07/12/2016, 09:52 PM
Well I see the few that have responded are satisfied with the TLF reactor. Would be nice to get a plug and play where I don't have to worry about if the pump is going to be strong enough for pellets. I will start off using it with GFO but would also like to try pellets to see if they are worth it and therefore eliminate my other media

gmlee
07/12/2016, 09:53 PM
I will check out the manual for the TLF. Thanks

gmlee
07/13/2016, 07:20 AM
With all the media reactors out there no one has mentioned anything else but the TLF. Oh well guess I'm on my own with this one.

JBradford
07/13/2016, 10:47 AM
TLF is what I use also. I have 3 of them that run different media at different times depending on what I need.

billdogg
07/13/2016, 05:45 PM
I use BRS reactors as well, but you were looking for HOB, so that's what people have given you info on. As it happens the TLF is a tried and true model that has served a whole lot of people quite well for a very long time.

It's beginning to seem like you are just looking for validation to buy the more expensive reactor. If so, why'd you ask in the first place?

gmlee
07/13/2016, 09:35 PM
My only alternative seemed that a hang on was my only choice. Now I see I could place one directly in my tank with a "cleaner" look such as the innovative marine. As I said it would even eliminate my tunze filter and not just hanging another piece of equipment on my tank.
Good grief sorry for asking in the first place!

andrek787
07/14/2016, 01:10 AM
There is another option. Aquamaxx make great media\biopellet reactors and they have a addon bracket that lets you hang it on the side of the tank\sump. You will pay 80-100 depending on size + cost of pump, but quality and ease of use blows TLF150 out the water :thumbsup:

gmlee
07/14/2016, 01:37 AM
Thank u! Had noticed those ones too. Considering all options including TLF.

gmlee
07/20/2016, 10:33 PM
Ok.....well still looking at media reactors at one of our popular stores up here in Canada and has dual TLF 150 reactors with a maxi jet 400 pump which says will run both reactors along with some carbon and rowas on sale for $172.00. Same price as one innovation marine reactor. Any thoughts on this?