PDA

View Full Version : Level sensor lifespan

docwells
07/10/2016, 08:21 AM
I was curious what the lifespan of the floater level sensors are? I think I have one that is in need of replacement. I use it for ATO for my tank but it triggers my litermeter when it floats hit the bottom of the sleeve but then shuts off when it is half way up the sleeve. It used to not do this. It would turn off at top of sleeve and come on about half way down the sleeve.

I did clean it to make sure this was not the issue. I also made sure i reinstalled it the same way it was removed.

I just think it's time to be replaced, but wanted to make sure before I buy another one. Might even consider the optical if it will last longer.

ReefRockerLive
07/10/2016, 10:32 AM
My float sensor lasted about 2 years in saltwater before needing replacement. At the same, I also purchased an optical sensor to use on the same setup. 4 years later that same optical sensor is still working flawlessly.

I prefer the optical sensor because it has no moving parts and less prone to failure. I do however use a float sensor in my ATO reservoir and that's been running just fine.

As long as the sensors are kept clean, they will last a while.

docwells
07/10/2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Guess I shouldn't complain. My float is about 4 years old. I had an optical in past but it only lasted 2 years. Thought it would have been longer but does sound like best way to go.

ReefClownMIA
07/10/2016, 12:55 PM
I'm running the optical as well - I prefer it as it keeps a much tighter range of level.

docwells
07/10/2016, 01:19 PM
Looks like I will be getting an optical.

d2mini
07/11/2016, 10:07 AM
I too prefer the optical!
Easier to keep clean, no moving parts. :)

docwells
07/15/2016, 07:04 PM
Optical sensor arrived and installed. It is so much nicer than float. Level control is alot tighter.
Thanks for the input