PDA

View Full Version : The new king of quarantine. qT fluke update

Reel North
07/10/2016, 09:55 AM
As many of you may or may not know, I learned a VERY expensive lesson. I didn't QT ANYTHING. I was lucky for a long time, and then has essentially every fish die in 3 days. I don't know if it was flukes, velvet, ammonia spike or what.

All I DO KNOW - it was a painful lesson to learn and I won't be repeating it.

That's why I call myself the new king of quarantine lol

I recently picked up a 75g tank, stand and canister used for a good deal to use specifically as my qt.

My wife wasn't too happy about ANOTHER tank, but when I explained what it was for. She was ok with it. After all, I bought her a gorgeous blue face angel for Father's Day ! What a guy...... Lol

So here's the update

Fish have been in there for 2 weeks today. It's bare bottom, with the Lowes plumbing department on the bottom. I have a fluval 304, and a small hob, and an air stone, as well as a small coralia powerhead.

I've been treating the tank as prescribed on the bottle - 3 1/2 scoops of the powder. The fish have been looking great, and eat anything I throw in there.

I did lose a small hippo tang in the first few days, but the mimic tang, 2 spot bristle tooth, yellow coris and my just changing emp (chuck II) are doing great.

I wanted to see how the mets were working, so I prepared a fw bath, caught chuck and put him in for 2 5 minute timed sessions.

OUCH.

There were a bunch of flaky looking things in the container after 5 minutes, and what I can only assume was a fluke on his pectoral fin.

It didn't come off after the full 10 minute bath. As I was releasing him back into QT, I rubbed his fin and off it came.

He is no worse for wear now he is back in the qt tank.

There were all kinds of off color spots on his skin, but his eyes are clear, and he is breathing fine.

I'm going to finish up the 21 days - 6 to go - and do a large WC on the tank.

I'll be running some carbon as well to eliminate the meds, and then I suppose I will do 2 rounds of prazi.

I'll fw dip all the fish before the prazi starts to kill any of the adults.

I'll keep this thread updated so we can share any success and failures along the way, and hopefully get more people to believe in the power of prevention.