PDA

View Full Version : Installing overflow tower

Mamboh
07/10/2016, 10:08 AM
Hi guys!

Are there any guides on how to reliably install an overflow tower to a tank?
I was thinking about making a glass overflow tower from black glass. The main concern is should the existing silicone be cut so that the overflow will fit to the tank wall (where the bottom and side pane meet) or should I cut a small triangle shaped piece off from the overflow and silicone the tower so that the old and new silicone will overlap (which shouldn't stick to each other very well).

Hope someone understood what I was trying to say :D

Thanks!

D.moller
07/10/2016, 10:56 AM
I would say cut the triangle off the corner. Don't disturb the existing tank silicone, then just silicone in your tower whether it be glass or acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhbell
07/10/2016, 09:37 PM
Understood just fine. Strongly agree with not disturbing the existing silicone. Relieve the tower corners. Risk of traumatic consequence from creating a leak in the tank versus the tower are key considerations.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Mamboh
07/11/2016, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I thought so too :) I was planning on getting a brand new Juwel tank, but if I drill holes for the overflow it would void the warranty of the tank.

Any ideas on what should I do? Should I get a HOB overflow box (which I hear are a real safety hazard) or maybe have the tank soak for a while (month?) before drilling it to make sure it holds water?

EDIT: Lifereef seems to have some reliable HOB overflows though

bhbell
07/11/2016, 01:30 PM
If buying new, why not order it pre drilled?

Mamboh
07/11/2016, 01:44 PM
If buying new, why not order it pre drilled?

Hmmm. I don't know if that's something they are willing to do. I actually called my local shop and asked about the overflow problem but he didn't say anything about pre drilling, though I didn't ask about it either. I'll have to give them another call and ask ;)

bhbell
07/11/2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I thought so too :) I was planning on getting a brand new Juwel tank, but if I drill holes for the overflow it would void the warranty of the tank.

Any ideas on what should I do? Should I get a HOB overflow box (which I hear are a real safety hazard) or maybe have the tank soak for a while (month?) before drilling it to make sure it holds water?

EDIT: Lifereef seems to have some reliable HOB overflows though

Ok. I just looked at the Juwel page. IMO, they may not be your best option for a reef tank. FOWLR maybe, but with their T5 only lighting and a specialty skimmer as an only option it looks like they don't really get into the reefkeeping market. I recommend you go to a couple of reefkeeping shops and explore a different tank system. I have a theory that reefkeeping, Computers, Motorcycles, etc all suffer from "IfOnly". When deciding to buy a _______, you tell yourself that there's no need for a bigger/faster/more comfortable whatchamacallit." Six months after you buy it you find yourself saying "If only I had spent the extra $xxx.xx for__________ I could have ________________." Then you spend the money(and likely more) anyhow to convert what you got into what you want now.

bhbell
07/11/2016, 05:06 PM
They likely use tempered glass in their tanks. That strengthens it and also makes it undrillable after tempering. If you do get the Juwel tank, and opt for a HOB overflow (Ive had them on a couple of different tanks) I recommend that you use one that blocks light out of the siphon part. They grow algae of all types but the GHA loves the flow and will become a problem to keep clean and flowing. My second suggestion would be to vent the siphon part to either a powerhead( I think it's MaxiJet that has a venturi air inlet on the output ) in the tank or a Tom Aqualifter to the tank or sump. I felt the powerhead sucked the air out of the siphon faster than the Aqualifter did. Knock on wood, I never had an issue with it restarting correctly after a power out.

Mamboh
07/11/2016, 05:18 PM
Actually I wasn't planning on using the lighting and filtering that comes with the package, I was going to buy them seperately from somewhere else ;)

As to the glass being tempered I don't believe it is, since there are some threads on reef central where people have drilled their Juwel tanks.

Sadly there aren't really any reef keeping shops where I live :/
The Juwel tanks turned my eye because of the nice looking cabinets and suitable tank/cabinet dimensions (15 inch width being max).

bhbell
07/11/2016, 06:44 PM
Ok. Hope it all works out. If you drill it there is nothing gained by waiting. It wont get any easier or more foolproof, you just get to empty it first. If you go with a HOB overflow just make sure you plan for a power off restart of the siphon.