PDA

View Full Version : I have arrived

Airborne12B
07/10/2016, 12:32 PM
For a long time I have felt that I didn't have a tank worth receiving the title of "Display Tank". I had a 55 that was too vertical to do anything with, and its shape meant I couldn't clean behind the rocks, which meant a constant battle with GHA. Once a week I would have to spend an hour pulling it off my rocks and taking a toothbrush to the spots too short to pull. It was a healthy tank, but an absolute ugly duckling. After waiting for a few years for the perfect bargain to come along, I found a 79 gal with stand that was cheap enough I allowed myself to buy it. Well, I switched it over and I feel like I have a tank I can finally be proud of. A tank that doesn't make me want to steer people away from when they visit. So, here goes. What do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/VODAgmK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CO9Lfg6.jpg

billdogg
07/10/2016, 01:40 PM
Looks nice!

My only suggestion would be to try to open up the rock work a little so there are more cave/swim through spots.

heathlindner25
07/10/2016, 01:56 PM
Can you turn your lights up a bit so I can see what's going on?

Airborne12B
07/10/2016, 03:04 PM
Looks nice!

My only suggestion would be to try to open up the rock work a little so there are more cave/swim through spots.

Thanks! My wife insists the right side looks, uh...phallic, but I'm not convinced. There are several nooks and through-ways on both sides, along with a half cave on the left. I didn't want to create a complete cave that would trap detritus.

Can you turn your lights up a bit so I can see what's going on?

I actually took those pictures during my peak. The darkness is largely due to my lack of proper photography skills. I will try to get one that's more illuminated, or maybe tweak the picture in Gimp. I just can't seem to take a picture that represents the brightness, and color of the tank.

rt67ghy
07/10/2016, 03:29 PM
I really dig the rock work on the left. I think your wife is right about the right side. LOL

Airborne12B
07/10/2016, 03:42 PM
I really dig the rock work on the left. I think your wife is right about the right side. LOL

Daggonit! How much does it take away from the tank? Lol

rt67ghy
07/11/2016, 02:47 AM
If you really want to go with it I think you could cover that long pointed rock (and the big one behind it) with corals. That should change the overall appearance.

Airborne12B
07/11/2016, 09:19 PM
I can't seem to take a picture that lightens it up any...

Sonyardo
07/11/2016, 09:24 PM
It looks good from here :)

Tisbe
07/12/2016, 01:02 AM
Looks great. Be sure to post updates as the tank grows.

farfromsea
07/12/2016, 04:58 AM
Lol, now I can't not see it. Could you flip the phallic rock upside down to make a sort-of pseudobridge/pass-through for small fish? Very nice tank

Airborne12B
07/16/2016, 11:14 AM
It looks good from here :)

Thanks!

Looks great. Be sure to post updates as the tank grows.

Thanks Tisbe, I will. Hopefully I will improve my photography skills in that time.

Lol, now I can't not see it. Could you flip the phallic rock upside down to make a sort-of pseudobridge/pass-through for small fish? Very nice tank

Ugh, would you have thought that if I hadn't mentioned it? I can't turn it into an arch, because it stops the eye dead in its tracks. This is a bummer....dang Johnsons.

Airborne12B
07/16/2016, 03:22 PM
Yes, very nice!

Thanks!