PDA

View Full Version : What is gaping?

SeaCucumberFan
07/12/2016, 08:08 AM
I am a bit confused to what gaping is, both in corals and clams. Cna someone please explain what gaping is?

SeaCucumberFan
07/12/2016, 08:48 AM
*bump

tzylak
07/12/2016, 09:22 AM
Live Clam: open wide with the mantle extended out. The visible part of the mantle is collecting nutrients from the water and absorbing sunlight for the inner chemistry to work (symbiotic bacterial growth). The invisible side is depositing calcium on the shell to promote its growth.

Dead clam: open wide but with the mantle fully retracted. -Heard about it and never want to see it.

d2mini
07/12/2016, 09:22 AM
Are you talking about when their mouths are wide open?

Keoki18
07/12/2016, 09:56 AM
gaping is usually indicating that the inhalant syphon (large "mouth" slit) is wide open with little to no retraction or closing. It also means that both valves (shells) are not closing together when there is a stimulus (shadow moving over it/ something touching it).

It is usually an sign that your clam is stressed or not doing so well. The abductor muscle that pulls the two valves together is not working properly.

All tridacna clams will open and extend their mantles, but they should periodically open and close the inhalant syphon, along with contracting and extending the mantel when stimulated. (FYI not all clams can totally shut their valves once they reach a very large size ex. large T. gigas among others)

mcgyvr
07/12/2016, 10:15 AM
1 tip... DON'T google images for "gaping"..
Even more so right after you eat..

GimpyFin
07/12/2016, 10:18 AM
1 tip... DON'T google images for "gaping"..
Even more so right after you eat..

Gaping clams? Couldn't imagine anything odd showing up under google images... :smokin:

sde1500
07/12/2016, 10:19 AM
I'm just glad someone else made a joke first.

It is def a sign of stress. Can't say I've seen it with clams, never kept one, but had a coral that gaped its mouth for a while before shriveling up to nothing. Stupid yuma....