PDA

View Full Version : Full zeovit on a 20g tall

Joel_155
07/12/2016, 08:14 AM
Morning folks
Question for you guys. I have a 20 gallon tall that I'm running FOWLR right now and I want to try and run full zeovit on it. Here's my plan. I run carbon and gfo in the first chamber (gfo will get tossed with zero starts), a hydor slim skim on the second with a heater and then the return with the zeo media in the third. I'm using a sicce 0.5 as a return pump and I figure a media bag will work well as a reactor.

Planning on getting started with this process in the next few weeks and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were. Thanks in advance.

Joel

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

zeemofree
07/12/2016, 08:34 AM
Morning folks Question for you guys. I have a 20 gallon tall that I'm running FOWLR right now and I want to try and run full zeovit on it. Here's my plan. I run carbon and gfo in the first chamber (gfo will get tossed with zero starts), a hydor slim skim on the second with a heater and then the return with the zeo media in the third. I'm using a sicce 0.5 as a return pump and I figure a media bag will work well as a reactor. Planning on getting started with this process in the next few weeks and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were. Thanks in advance. Joel Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You should read the Zeovit manual, they do not recommend GFO, and I am switching to aquaforest as its a much more sensible system, and no Zeovit to bother with.

Joel_155
07/12/2016, 12:55 PM
Yeah I've been reading it. Gfo will get removed when I start the process. Need to move the tank first.

Hentz
07/14/2016, 01:59 AM
Agreed. I run full ZEOvit, no gfo!
Media bag with ZEOstones will work fine. Just shake daily, twice.

If possible, it's highly recommended you start fresh with ZEOvit. Being you only have fish, no corals, will make it easy. Just a quick 14 day cycle.
If not, no biggie. Just make sure your water parameters are in check as well.

Joel_155
07/14/2016, 02:13 PM
Glad to hear folks have tried it with success. Going to start in the next few weeks. Going through a move (why I'm running the nano) and need to move the tank to its final location in the next few days. Been looking at Zeo and the results always seem to look amazing

Hentz
07/17/2016, 01:08 AM
I've really enjoyed it so far. I made the mistake of using live sand (prior to knowing I was going ZEOvit) and I ended up removing it during my move. It's a no-no to use live sand with ZEOvit because the bacteria's, from what I read, just don't work out the same. I, along with many others, have had bad issues with algae on the sand bed. But USE SAND! Dry sand :D

Joel_155
07/17/2016, 08:51 AM
I initially built this tank as a permanent coral QT. Then my wife and I moved and it became the tank thatobed livestock around. I had a few pieces of coral but they didn't survive the move and in its temp location I decided to turn the lights off an run it fowlr. Well we are in our new house and I have to move the tank again (wife and I did a two stage move to our new home) and once it's settled I'm going to start on Zeo.

Joel_155
07/17/2016, 08:51 AM
Right now no sand bed at all and just fish and rock. I may add sand but was debating not.

Joel_155
07/23/2016, 10:43 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160724/df56e697d066222fbd926d43461387a2.jpg

Tank moved!!!

Joel_155
07/24/2016, 04:00 PM
Got my Zeovit package ordered. Going to use zeovit media in a mesh bag in the return and then run carbon in the first chamber. I ordered the KZ nano package and then Zeo start, Zeo food and zeobak.

Hentz
07/24/2016, 09:22 PM
There really is no need for the ZEOfood as its now recommended to use Sponge Power instead of ZEOfood. However, if you do keep it, it could help later if you want to color up your corals a bit. I still use it since I have it but don't plan on buying another.

Joel_155
07/25/2016, 03:55 AM
Thank you!