PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 300DD

McPuff
07/12/2016, 08:46 AM
Hi all, I'm picking up a 300DD 72x36x27H) this weekend and have a few questions for the experts. Overflow is on one end (peninsula style) for reference. Got the full setup for a great deal so had to jump on it. Subsequently, I don't have months of time to plan and prep. It'll really be plan as I go but trying to iron out a few details in the coming days:

1) Do you trust the heavy duty suction cups w/handles for moving? If so, which ones? It'll take lots of manpower regardless, but perhaps these are helpful, especially when sliding tank down steps? I'll strap plywood to the tank and cover with cardboard so that it will slide down the stairs. Unfortunately, it's got a 90 deg turn so that will make for a fun time.

2) Water movement; was considering putting 4 rw-20 (2 each side). I assume this will be plenty of water movement and that the pumps will actually need to be dialed back. Will control via Apex. Another option would be the Neptune Wav... not sure how much flow these could create on their own (~4k gph) for that size tank but probably would need additional flow. At that point the 4x rw20 seems the most cost-effective solution. Keep in mind, I will not have much SPS in this tank. 3-4 large colonies and the rest LPS/softies. Focus on this tank will be fish. So I don't need a crazy amount of flow. Any input here?

3) have ordered a marine pure block for the sump... will let this sit in my current sump for a couple weeks to get colonized. Any reviews on these (yes, I've read other online reviews)? Seems like a common addition to large tank builds. What is the life expectancy on these things? I don't really want to have a bunch of live rock in the sump and figured this is a good way to reduce/remove it. I'll have ~200# of "open" rockscape in the display but want to have lots of open space for fish.

4) ATS; I will construct one as this seems much more productive and efficient than chaeto which I currently employ. Too many success stories on ATS for me to avoid adding one. I'm likely to closely follow the design of Karimwassef as it seems very efficient, simple, and elegant.

As you may imagine, I'm excited to join the club of large tank owners... and very nervous for the move itself! Appreciate the feedback in advance!

Greybeard
07/12/2016, 09:35 AM
The key to moving large glass aquariums is enough hands. Just so happens I'm planning to help move a 300dd 40 feet to load it in a truck... 1 door, no stairs, and I'm hoping to have 7 people there to help move it.

A good quality suction type glass handler, in good condition, on a clean surface, is pretty safe. The $8 harbor freight ones? I don't think so.

L8Braker
07/12/2016, 01:06 PM
Just moved my tank and me and a buddy picked it up carried it about 50ft to the stand and set it down. Granted we both workout and are in good shape. Personally I wouldn't put much faith in suction cups.

For flow no experience on the ones you listed but I have MP40QD 2 on each end at the moment and may add 1-2 more for the back wall.

McPuff
07/13/2016, 05:59 AM
Just moved my tank and me and a buddy picked it up carried it about 50ft to the stand and set it down. Granted we both workout and are in good shape. Personally I wouldn't put much faith in suction cups.

For flow no experience on the ones you listed but I have MP40QD 2 on each end at the moment and may add 1-2 more for the back wall.

And you've also got a 300DD? I think the suction cups would only be used as an aid in lowering the tank down the stairs (reducing slide speed). Otherwise, I just don't have faith in them for actual carrying. I'm going to see if the glass shop by me rents them or will let me borrow some (neighbor works there).

L8Braker
07/13/2016, 06:35 AM
Yep I have a 300DD as well :fish2:

McPuff
07/13/2016, 01:30 PM
Yep I have a 300DD as well :fish2:

My gosh, I can't believe you and one other moved this tank!! I have done a 225 with another person and that was seriously heavy. But it's good to hear that I won't need an actual army of movers to get this thing into my basement. Though navigating the turn in the stairs will certainly require extra muscle!

mlb75
07/14/2016, 09:44 AM
You and your friend must be big dudes, I'm not a small guy and I wouldn't think of trying to move one without at least 4 good size guys. Not saying it can't be done but wow.

L8Braker
07/15/2016, 07:38 AM
hahaha nah we both are around 6'2" and guessing he weighs about the same as me at 205. We just manned up :hmm4:

ChimolaFish
07/15/2016, 04:16 PM
They weigh around 500lbs empty. When I moved my 300DD, I had about 7 people on hand, but only 4 people ended up having enough room to really do anything to help. It wasn't hard at all with the 4 of us. Just make sure they're 4 strong people and that they know what to do. You'll be fine.

McPuff
07/20/2016, 11:52 AM
Well I am tired and sore today. I drove 2.5 hrs on Sunday to get the tank. We tore it down and help arrived right on time to move the tank to my trailer. Go sideways was definitely the hardest part as there was no rim to provide grip. But it was the only way to get through the door. Anyway, 4 people were enough to carry the tank. Got it loaded and transported back to my house and all went well (other than the strong crosswinds on my return drive!). Had 3 buddies help me unload the tank from the trailer and into my garage... quick and easy. Set on 2x4s to save fingers!

Yesterday I had movers come to put it into basement and I was #4. I have to say it wouldnt' have happened with only 3 people! Had to turn sideways to get through front door. Getting it down the stairs was a treat! The 90 deg turn proved very difficult but with a LOT of sweat we made it down. Looking at the tank before and after you'd never guess it would fit. But I was obsessive about it beforehand, measured many times, and made two different models to prove to myself that it would fit. It was tight but made it and now it sits on the carpet in my basement.

I've got travel today through Sunday so maybe next week I can start the process towards getting this thing set up. The stand needs to be reassembled but that will be easy. Tank is already rinsed. Just need to clean the sand, and acid bathe the huge rocks for the display.

Next issue is that I have to travel out of country starting next weekend (July 30) for two weeks. So I may not get water in this thing for over a month. That's ok though as there is no real need for urgency. But I'm certainly excited! :0) Just glad it's in the basement... all of my anxiety was tied to that particular move!!

hobbzz
07/20/2016, 01:33 PM
Some people have speculated that the marine pure blocks leach aluminum. There is a big thread discussing it. www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2453931 Personally I would skip the jebao stuff. Not reliable. Pick up some used tunzes. Should last years.

L8Braker
07/20/2016, 02:33 PM
hahaha glad to hear!!! Yeah We had no issues with doors or turns so that is what helped us. Sounds like yours was quite a bit harder to maneuver through. Post up some pics as you go (I've been taking pics of mine and need to start a thread but have been lazy hahaha)

Devolver
07/22/2016, 12:20 PM
i moved my 300DD with one other guy...carried it from my basement around the house into the second floor. turned is sideways to get through my kitchen door and placed it on the stand I built. It was very heavy at the end, It would have been much easier with 2 other guys.

Michael Hoaster
08/25/2016, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear you got that done! I look forward to more.

prop-frags
08/26/2016, 07:37 PM
Make sure you inspect the silicone seals on the tank very carefully. Do a freshwater leak test. Let it sit for a couple of days and inspect again. We had two of these tanks fail on us and we finally said never again.

McPuff
08/29/2016, 06:33 AM
Make sure you inspect the silicone seals on the tank very carefully. Do a freshwater leak test. Let it sit for a couple of days and inspect again. We had two of these tanks fail on us and we finally said never again.

I don't understand why these tanks are failing...

But I will be doing a leak test for sure once I get it onto the stand. The tank held water when I picked it up so unless something strange happened, it should still hold water now.

phk36
08/29/2016, 12:21 PM
Hi, I have used suction cups for glass many times , as long as after pumping up the cup and the button does not start to come out you will be fine. I have a few good cups if you need to use them . I had six strong young guys move my 200 which is 5x32'x 24 3/4 . I would go less than six people, Pete

ReefMaverick
08/30/2016, 10:46 AM
Think twice before getting a Deep Dimension Tank. I have in had an engineer report showing that they are prone to leak...Bottom Seal and Corner seal have a tendency to give up. We had the bad luck to own 2 of those tank...first one failed 4 months after filling...lost all our Live Stock and had to reboot the tank...Second one leaked after 2.5 years, ruined our basement and caused an electrical fire....lost 30K in that second incident....There is a batch of those tank out there that are time bomb. United Pet Group is aware but nothing was done to warn the owners. Recommend we start a Class Action to have all the tanks recalled and replaced.

McPuff
08/30/2016, 11:17 AM
Think twice before getting a Deep Dimension Tank. I have in had an engineer report showing that they are prone to leak...Bottom Seal and Corner seal have a tendency to give up. We had the bad luck to own 2 of those tank...first one failed 4 months after filling...lost all our Live Stock and had to reboot the tank...Second one leaked after 2.5 years, ruined our basement and caused an electrical fire....lost 30K in that second incident....There is a batch of those tank out there that are time bomb. United Pet Group is aware but nothing was done to warn the owners. Recommend we start a Class Action to have all the tanks recalled and replaced.

Any idea of the mfg date(s) for those defective tanks? Mine is Sept 2014.

ReefMaverick
08/30/2016, 11:22 AM
Second One was Sept 2013 and first one was Feb 2013. The leak is caused by bad silicone between Side Panel and bottom Panel....I pre-filed the tank and tested them for a week each time....no leak...and no warning when they start to leak....both time the Tanks were new. Engineer told us that the inner seal (the one we see) will hold the water for some time, but at some point it will give up !

Another Local Reefer had same issue with a 300DD and his tank was 1 year older than my first one but leaked during summer 2014

McPuff
08/30/2016, 02:07 PM
Well, I gotta hope for the best at this point. I've got a totally overbuilt stand and I'll have it true and level. It sitting on a concrete slab (basement). And it's already held water for about 2 years. But like I said, I will still do a leak test for sure.

Michael Hoaster
08/30/2016, 03:30 PM
Hmm…that's got to make you a little nervous. 27 inches isn't that high. Hearing those kind of horror stories would have me thinking about reinforcement. Maybe an additional bead of silicone and/or added framing around the base?

Anyways, hope you have lots of fun with it! And no leaks!

saf1
08/30/2016, 07:25 PM
Best of luck. That was the exact tank I was looking for until several of the failures started to come about. It even gave me second thought to that size of tank and ended up with a tick over 200 gallons being ordered now.

Really like the tank and some incredible builds here on the forums.

McPuff
08/31/2016, 07:34 AM
Hmm…that's got to make you a little nervous. 27 inches isn't that high. Hearing those kind of horror stories would have me thinking about reinforcement. Maybe an additional bead of silicone and/or added framing around the base?

Anyways, hope you have lots of fun with it! And no leaks!

I suppose I could put a thick line of silicone along the bottom seams... is that going to compromise the existing silicone at all? I have inspected the existing seal and there are no issues whatsoever. I guess I will use the ALD module I have in hand. :0)

ReefMaverick
08/31/2016, 03:46 PM
Wow thanks god....after 2 1/2 months marineland...and their insurance made me a settlement offer. We took it...it was not 100% of our lost but still acceptable.

McPuff
09/02/2016, 08:40 AM
Wow thanks god....after 2 1/2 months marineland...and their insurance made me a settlement offer. We took it...it was not 100% of our lost but still acceptable.

Definitely a good thing!! I had a light start on fire and crash an entire 150 gal tank several years ago... killed all of my fish (well over $1k). The company would do nothing about it. Luckily my LFS was awesome and was able to work with the company to get me replacement value. You problem was way worse! I'm glad they came to an agreement!

ReefMaverick
09/02/2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks...yep it's awesome....I had to take a loss but overall the offer is not bad.... now lets see how fast the check will show up.