PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's breathe suggestions

KrazieKiKi
07/12/2016, 10:45 AM
I've had dragons breathe for quite some time and at first it grew like crazy. Now it's lost some of the orange tips (I had to cut lights to get rid of some algae in the sea horses) but I'm new to dosing tanks and was looking for suggestions on what other people dose into macro tanks. I've been adding iodide every other day.

60 gallon cube tank - 10 gal refug - 5gal ATO.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160712/41866c83c0bd6ce546b658d5c37792d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harth23
07/12/2016, 08:18 PM
I see you got your blues way up and this is great! That really gets there tips going. How low are your nitrate and phosphate doing? Because go to low and they get a little funky

KrazieKiKi
07/12/2016, 09:03 PM
My tank naturally runs higher in nitrates (sea horses are a messy bunch) usually around 30ppm. Phosphates aren't too high since I use RO water and do TRY TO do weekly- biweekly water changes at the latest.

KrazieKiKi
07/12/2016, 09:05 PM
I have since that picture removed the gracilaria algae - it grew WAY too fast in my tank and I think it was contributing to my DB dying off. I started the iodide about two weeks ago and I've noticed the tips are starting to lighten up again!!!

Michael Hoaster
07/19/2016, 05:10 PM
Cool tank shot! I used to have a 60 cube and loved it! Tell us about the chains!

Be careful with iodide. It is easily overdosed. I don't have dragon's breath so I have no idea if this'll help, but I've seen great results in red macro growth, dosing iron. Macros can suck it up, and then it becomes the limiting nutrient.

Subsea
07/20/2016, 05:34 AM
For many macro, iron is often the limiting nutrient. I have read articles by Randy Holmes Farley about an iron storage mechanism during times of excess iron, that is used during lean times. The more I learn, the more I realize how perfect Nature is.

Most red macros use much iodine. Unfortunately it is difficult to measure.

PS. It is doubtful that iron could be overdosed, while excess iodine can be detrimental to bacteria populations in your Eco-system.

Subsea
07/20/2016, 05:51 AM
I have since that picture removed the gracilaria algae - it grew WAY too fast in my tank and I think it was contributing to my DB dying off. I started the iodide about two weeks ago and I've noticed the tips are starting to lighten up again!!!

Beautiful tank shot. Are the chains hitching post for your ponies?

I grow Dragons Breath from the Gulf of Mexico (Halymenia Floresia) collected between 30'-130'. At that depth, blue is the only spectrum left. This DB is not a fast grower. With Sea Horses in your tank, I think it best that you keep a fast growing macro for nutrient export. Perhaps a green macro so as not to consume so much iodine. It may also provide a nice color contrast. What Red Gracilaria did you remove?

KrazieKiKi
07/20/2016, 06:12 AM
Beautiful tank shot. Are the chains hitching post for your ponies?

I grow Dragons Breath from the Gulf of Mexico (Halymenia Floresia) collected between 30'-130'. At that depth, blue is the only spectrum left. This DB is not a fast grower. With Sea Horses in your tank, I think it best that you keep a fast growing macro for nutrient export. Perhaps a green macro so as not to consume so much iodine. It may also provide a nice color contrast. What Red Gracilaria did you remove?

I run my blues pretty high. I'm running a kessil light so I dial it on the blue LED's more than white.

All the dark maroon algae in that picture was gracilaria. It was great at pulling nutrients it just made a mess in the tank because the SH grabbed and broke off pieces trying to hitch. So I just pulled all of it out. I'm trying to get some green caulerpas in the tank but no one around here sells it readily. I really like the DB and my refugium is small so I may have to change my priorities around. I just hate to give the DB up!! It's so beautiful.

The black chain is for hitching posts but I like the diff look it gives off.

Subsea
07/20/2016, 07:34 AM
live-plants.com aka Gulf Coast EcoSystems can help you with your Caulerpa search. At present, they have several available. I like C. Paspoides because of its lacy fern like leaves. Don't let its holdfast get on your rocks and prune it frequently to prevent it from going sexual. This will aid in your nutrient export. With macro in your tank, I suggest you use activated carbon to absorb DOC from the water column.
While you are at GCE website, check out Red Grapes (Botryocladia) and Blue Hypnea, both are available at this time. I think they would look nice in your tank

Michael Hoaster
07/20/2016, 08:54 AM
I think the chains give off a 'Davey Jones' Locker' kind of vibe. It's fun!

Xxero
07/22/2016, 06:02 AM
Beautiful tank! :bigeyes: