PDA

View Full Version : Which Photon V2 model?

rongateb
07/12/2016, 01:22 PM
What do you guys recommend for my 60" long, 18" front to back, 30" top to bottom tank? 2 Photon 24-V2s or 1 Photon 50-V2?

I am going with a mixed reef setup, a ton of rock and some fish for now. I eventually will be adding SPS corals once I figure out my light and flow situation.

I don't have any lighting for the tank right now. I am cycling her for the next week or two so I need to buy some lights soon.

Here is a pic:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/rongateb/Big%20Tank_zpszoevxfpa.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ron

Reef_Breeders
07/12/2016, 09:43 PM
Hey Ron,

The Photon 50-V2 would fit that tank very well, you can use the included tank mounting legs to mount it about 8" off of the water.

They have about 235watts of LEDs so that should be plenty for a 30" deep tank with anything from soft corals to sps.

rongateb
07/12/2016, 10:01 PM
Hey Logan, first off thanks for the quick response.

If I was to ever go SPS dominant, will I have "enough" light for the 30" depth as well as side to side coverage? I am only 18" front to back so I am not worried about front to back coverage.

I am a little worried about the 50 not being enough light. However, if you say it is, I will go with your recommendation. What would be the negatives/positives between 2-24s or 1-50?

Let me know so I can place the order.

Thanks for being patient with me.

-Ron

PAXpress
07/13/2016, 02:51 PM
Tank looks beautiful. Love the effect that sand bed creates. Would love to see updates. Ordered my 48 for my 75g tank. Cant wait to see how it looks. Sorry for the off subject post but wanted to say it looks great.

rongateb
07/13/2016, 09:56 PM
Tank looks beautiful. Love the effect that sand bed creates. Would love to see updates. Ordered my 48 for my 75g tank. Cant wait to see how it looks. Sorry for the off subject post but wanted to say it looks great.

Thanks Paxpress. I just ordered my 50 V2. I should have it next week sometime. I will post pics as soon as I get it done.

Thanks,
-Ron

Reef_Breeders
07/14/2016, 12:10 PM
Hey Logan, first off thanks for the quick response.

If I was to ever go SPS dominant, will I have "enough" light for the 30" depth as well as side to side coverage? I am only 18" front to back so I am not worried about front to back coverage.

I am a little worried about the 50 not being enough light. However, if you say it is, I will go with your recommendation. What would be the negatives/positives between 2-24s or 1-50?

Let me know so I can place the order.

Thanks for being patient with me.

-Ron

Ron,

You should have enough light at the bottom- check out the PAR readings for the 48-V2, it has the same wattage, but is about 5" shorter, so the readings should be similar. An extra 6" of depth doesn't make a huge difference in output, you should have no problems keeping lps and some sps on the bottom.

Also, 2 24s is the same wattage as 1 50-V2, so you don't gain too much going that route over a 5 foot tank.

rongateb
07/14/2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks Logan! I went ahead and checked the PAR readings before you responded.

I was sold and placed my order yesterday. Your office already emailed me shipping confirmation.

Now the hardest part ensues...WAITING!

I will post pics when it comes in.

Thanks Again,
-Ron

reefteaser
07/14/2016, 09:17 PM
I've had the 50-V2 over my mixed reef for 3 weeks now. Same dimensions, but not quite as deep. My coral responded within hours, and now show improved color and growth. I've increased the power slightly now, but it's still only 35%on the 3 blue channels, and 30% on the white for a 3 hour peak. I'm not sure how much more I'll go, but I'm sure there'd be plenty of power if the tank was deeper.
I thought about getting two smaller fixtures as well, but glad I went with the 50-V2. Had my hood cut for it, and it came out great. You'll be happy!

Reef_Breeders
07/17/2016, 02:31 PM
Looks great! Do you have another FTS? If you are interested I can add that to our testimonials section.

reefteaser
07/17/2016, 04:17 PM
Are you looking for another angle, or maybe just more in focus? I'm not the best photographer, and all I've got is my iPhone.

Reef_Breeders
07/17/2016, 06:52 PM
Are you looking for another angle, or maybe just more in focus? I'm not the best photographer, and all I've got is my iPhone.

Just something a bit closer to show the corals if you can, I can add both, one showing the lights, the other the corals. Thank you, and should I credit the photo to your RC user name or would you rather use your first name/ last initial?

reefteaser
07/17/2016, 08:08 PM
You can use my name, I already posted a good review not long ago. I'm on the road for another week, I'll take another pic when I get home.

Reef_Breeders
07/20/2016, 05:45 PM
Great, thank you!

rongateb
07/27/2016, 06:44 PM
ReefTeaser, good looking tank!

I am glad I listened to Logan and got the 50 instead of two 25s. Much cleaner look and my tank is responding very well. I am peaking @ 30% on Channels 3, 5 and 6 and @ 20% on Channel 4 for 3 hours a day as well and I don't see me ramping the percentages any more until I add more pieces that require more light.

-Ron