PDA

View Full Version : Cast acrylic strength questions?

j_mazzy
07/12/2016, 11:13 PM
I found cast 1n1/4 inch thick panels up to 24 inch by 48 inch. I am curious how to determine structural load potential. Say I created a structure designed to withold unlimited water weight from the inside with a hole cut out just large enough to embed this pane. Lets say 2 inches all the way around thus leaving a 20 By 44 inch viewing area. And the weight of the water from the inside is what keeps the pane in place. How do I determine the critical load for that pane (max pressure before failure)?

Timfish
07/12/2016, 11:27 PM
You probably need to contact the manufacturer. One question is how much deflection is acceptable? My guess is if the panel is properly mounted it could hold more if some deflection is acceptable than if no deflection is required.

mcgyvr
07/13/2016, 06:29 PM
http://www.engineersedge.com/strength_of_materials.htm
Don't exceed its yield strength or flexural modulus/strength and always include plenty of safety factor (3-4x or more)..

j_mazzy
07/13/2016, 07:54 PM
well I hate math so that sucks lol. I loved math as a kid. trig stuff in 6th grade.... then came drinking and woman and the army. Now I can't get through basic algebra. Dammit X why are you always lost??

Acrylics
07/14/2016, 04:10 PM
1/4" won't work for that. You won't see an actual failure in the material, but a failure in the joint - at your pressure gasket. And you'll get ~3/4" deflection which A) is visually disturbing, and B) will tend to peel the pane from the structure toward the inside. Center of the pane bulges outward, the perimeter would tend to deflect inward.
I'd use 1/2" acrylic for this. It'll simply remain flatter, which will be better in all aspects.

James

j_mazzy
07/15/2016, 11:39 PM
Thank you the question is at 1 and 1/4 inch acrylic. Theoretically ho much pressure can it take before warpage and then critical failure?