PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Tank SPS Capable Dimmable LEDs

Darth_Tater
07/13/2016, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a long shallow tank (67" x 17" x 12") and I'm looking for good LED lighting options.

I thought about using my Aquactinics TX5 (36" 5 bulb T5HO) and just doing a single island in the middle, but I don't know if I could live with at least 1/3 of the tank being dark.

So ideally I want to find 2 LED fixtures. They need to have programmable dimming/ramping without an aquarium controller (AKA they ramp up at beginning of lighting cycle then back down again at the end every day). I'd like to be able to tune the color. I also will be keeping a lot of SPS in this tank.

Here are the tough parts:
The tank is really long compared to width. Also, it's only 12" deep, so it needs the intensity to keep the SPS but not something that's designed for a 30" deep tank that will cook everything! I know I can just dim them down, but buying a fixture and only running it at 25% just seems like a huge waste of money.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

oreo57
07/13/2016, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a long shallow tank (67" x 17" x 12") and I'm looking for good LED lighting options.

I thought about using my Aquactinics TX5 (36" 5 bulb T5HO) and just doing a single island in the middle, but I don't know if I could live with at least 1/3 of the tank being dark.

So ideally I want to find 2 LED fixtures. They need to have programmable dimming/ramping without an aquarium controller (AKA they ramp up at beginning of lighting cycle then back down again at the end every day). I'd like to be able to tune the color. I also will be keeping a lot of SPS in this tank.

Here are the tough parts:
The tank is really long compared to width. Also, it's only 12" deep, so it needs the intensity to keep the SPS but not something that's designed for a 30" deep tank that will cook everything! I know I can just dim them down, but buying a fixture and only running it at 25% just seems like a huge waste of money.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

for fun and a discussion starter .. look into these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-36-48-60-180-led-aquarium-light-for-marine-coral-freshwater-planted-tank-/331766186318?var=&hash=item4d3ece414e:m:mhFwXR2TwlE_JhdHHgzDXnQ

:)

Darth_Tater
07/26/2016, 03:37 PM
Here's an idea I've been tossing around in my head for a few days now:

Two islands of rock for SPS with a Kessil A160 above each. Lower light LPS in the sand around the islands. Kessil says they can produce SPS capable for about an 18" spread (I'm assuming that's at the surface). I didn't find any PAR charts. Since my tank is very shallow maybe I can get a slightly larger area.

I realize this will have a huge spotlight effect (super bright areas surrounded by pretty dark areas), but it could look kinda cool. And the fish may like it.

Anyone have experience trying to grow SPS under the Kessil A160s?

for fun and a discussion starter .. look into these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-36-48-60-180-led-aquarium-light-for-marine-coral-freshwater-planted-tank-/331766186318?var=&hash=item4d3ece414e:m:mhFwXR2TwlE_JhdHHgzDXnQ

:)

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't want to be hanging a high power electrical fixture that doesn't even have a brand name on it over my tank of saltwater. Something about that concept makes my brain do this: :uhoh3: