PDA

View Full Version : Reglazing a 90 gallon tank

Jfranks09
07/14/2016, 02:26 PM
I just put picked up a used reef ready 90 gallon and the glazing is an eye sore so i was thinking about reglazing the glass. Do I need to take the top brace off? If so any tips on taking it off in one piece? All the videos I've seen has them breaking the brace.

mcgyvr
07/14/2016, 03:22 PM
Replacing both the inner and outer seal?
You don't need to take the top off unless you are going to redo both the inner and outer seal..
The rims are simply held on with silicone anyways so just go slow.. trim what you can and pull up.. Slide a razor blade under it or whatever you can do to loosen the adhesion..

Jfranks09
07/14/2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks! I'm just doing the inner... I water tested it and it holds water. Just doesn't look great and don't want any issues once it's filled up.

mcgyvr
07/15/2016, 05:14 AM
Thanks! I'm just doing the inner... I water tested it and it holds water. Just doesn't look great and don't want any issues once it's filled up.

Then you don't need to worry about removing the trim

Bagabaga
07/15/2016, 08:58 AM
What's glazing?

Jfranks09
07/15/2016, 09:13 AM
The silicone. I've thought about not removing it but it's pretty thin in some parts.

Bagabaga
07/15/2016, 09:31 AM
Oh ok. I was thinking along the lines of bath tub glazing lol!

Good luck with your rebuild!

EnderG60
07/15/2016, 01:21 PM
If you just want to redo the corner bead its simple and there is no need to take anything apart.

Use a razor and slice away the existing bead but dont push it between the glass panels. get EVERYTHING OFF and then use rubbing alcohol to clean where the silicon was.

Then just run a new bead around and smoosh it in there with your finger.

If its a display tank I like to use tape to make sure the edges are nice and straight, and wetting your finger with soapy water makes the bead come out much nicer with less stuck to your finger.

Jfranks09
07/15/2016, 02:02 PM
If you just want to redo the corner bead its simple and there is no need to take anything apart.

Use a razor and slice away the existing bead but dont push it between the glass panels. get EVERYTHING OFF and then use rubbing alcohol to clean where the silicon was.

Then just run a new bead around and smoosh it in there with your finger.

If its a display tank I like to use tape to make sure the edges are nice and straight, and wetting your finger with soapy water makes the bead come out much nicer with less stuck to your finger.

Thanks!