PDA

View Full Version : As terina starfish

ChiefReef559
07/14/2016, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know if asterina stars eat polyps? There little starfish that keep multiplying see the on my frags sometimes and pick them off but I can't tell if there eating the polyps please help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Remy LeBeau
07/14/2016, 05:57 PM
Yeah, there have been numerous reports of this happening on sites like this and others. Zoanthids are not the only corals on this pests menu either. Some people have seen them munching on certain sps corals too.

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

Skaters216
07/14/2016, 08:04 PM
Get a harlequin shrimp, I had the same problem and after I got the Harlequin shrimp, problem solved almost no more asterina star left

reefteaser
07/14/2016, 08:26 PM
I got a mated pair of Harleys with the intent of bringing them back to the LFS for credit on something else after the asterinas were gone. That took about 2 months, but we got so attached to the Harleys I buy them a chocolate chip star every 2-3 weeks. Love 'em!

ChiefReef559
07/14/2016, 08:54 PM
That's what I was thinking about doing but my LFS don't have any .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

650-IS350
08/04/2016, 03:09 PM
manual removal if you don't have a lot of them, don't buy a Harq shrimp if only have a few.

those things only eat the feet of star fish, they will starve fast.

jesstabby
08/07/2016, 02:11 PM
Yes, yes, yes...100% I can confirm they eat zoas. Lost some very nice zoa to the little monsters. My experience was that are asteria population was quite big before we really started having a problem. Our solution was a harlequin shrimp and manual removal. It worked quite nicely, but don't get a harlequin unless you are committed to buying a fresh starfish every 2 to 4 weeks after it works through your asteria. They only eat starfish and will die if you don't provide them a continuous supply.