PDA

View Full Version : Anything eat Ulva?

d2mini
07/14/2016, 05:28 PM
Just noticed that it has migrated from my refugium to the display.
It's growing on the sand bed.
So far my Powder Brown and Kole tangs are ignoring it.
Anything I can do? I don't mind a bit here and there as a I like a natural looking reef but I don't want it to become epidemic.

SeaCucumberFan
07/14/2016, 05:45 PM
Im pretty sure A lot of herbivorous sea slugs eat ulva

jraker
07/14/2016, 07:44 PM
I believe sea hares will eat them, along with other herbivorous inverts. What invertebrates do you already have in your tank?

d2mini
07/14/2016, 09:04 PM
Cucumbers, a few different snails, blue leg hermits, porcelain crabs, peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, serpents star, brittle star, fighting conch, urchins... no sea hare.

Michael Hoaster
07/14/2016, 09:55 PM
Try tearing off some bits and adding them when you feed them. I can't imagine that your tangs wouldn't eat it.

SaltyMember
07/15/2016, 05:59 AM
I assume you feed dried seaweed for your tangs. Maybe hold off on feeding the tangs seaweed for a bit and see if they start eating the Ulva.

d2mini
07/15/2016, 06:51 AM
I think part of the problem is the Tangs have plenty to eat on the rocks from TBS.
The PB I've had for a few weeks and he just picks all day, hasn't even touched Reef Frenzy. He has eaten Nori though. I haven't put it in often but I can stop it all together.
And the Kole i just got a few days ago, but he's picking at the rocks too.

Here's an example pic... it's small little bits for the most part... so far...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ThpBfmJ/0/O/i-ThpBfmJ.jpg

I'm thinking of cleaning out the whole sump and rinsing out all the macros and getting rid of most of the chaeto to see if I can remove it from the source.
It worried me when I first saw it. Came in on the cheato.

dblue
07/15/2016, 08:53 AM
A fish you should consider is a fox face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rvareef
07/15/2016, 10:08 AM
one spot foxface!

d2mini
07/15/2016, 10:36 AM
ok, i do like fox face, especially Magnificent Fox Face.
But are they more apt to go after this stuff than Tangs?

Theokie
07/15/2016, 11:31 AM
I take Ulva from my fuge and feed it back to my Vlamigii and Freckleface tang... they will eat it but they prefer Nori. I've seen my Tuxedo Urchin eat a bit of it as well as my large Abalone has made a go at it. My Magnificent Foxface will eat it but again its not his favorite.

To compare I can put three sheets of Nori in the clip and its gone in about 2 hours... If I fill the holder with Ulva they may finish it by the end of the day.