PDA

View Full Version : Radion XR30W Gen 3 - Intensity

Kezzas
07/17/2016, 03:26 AM
Hi all,

Is anyone else using the same lights? I currently have mine on a max intensity of 35% throughout the day because anything higher destroys my glass in algae.

I have the Reds and Greens turned down to a very minimal. But I am worried that at 35% intensity the corals aren't getting much light. The tank is 3ft and the lights are definitely enough , I could have getting away with using only one light as they have wide angle lenses.

Any help appreciated

TY

mikeatjac
07/17/2016, 04:02 AM
35% seems low. I had mine ramp up to 85%, 20k, 10" above the water. Wide lenses should allow you to go even higher.

What type of corals are you keeping?

Not sure what "destroys my glass in algae" means.

Kezzas
07/17/2016, 04:10 AM
Mine are 8.5" above water.

Mainly lps - frogspawn, torch , goni, elegance, duncans. No sps

I have tried different intensitys and the higher I go the more green algae build up I get on my glass. It's not over a number of days it's hours. Before the Radions I used ATI hybrid and had no issues with algae build up on the glass maybe after a few weeks it would need a clean but nothing serious like the Radions.

TY for reply

mikeatjac
07/17/2016, 04:54 AM
Well you have the red turned down low, first thing I would do. I am mostly SPS but at 85% I had no problems with softies as long as they were on the bottom.
Maybe you tank is at at point that it is now now exporting waste as it ages?

Kezzas
07/17/2016, 06:44 AM
I wonder, the tank is just under 2 years old. I will turn the red off completely and see if that changes anything it's on at about 10 at peak time during the day. I've used loads of different lights throughout the years and haven't had the same problem as I have with the Radions.

Would it be over kill with the lights? Have 2 over a 3.5ft tank?

mfinn
07/17/2016, 10:10 AM
I have my Radions at 70% over my 240 mixed reef.
I don't mess with the different colors too much, although I have 2 of the higher points set to a 20k look and I created a point in between and set that at a 16k color.
Nutrients ( food) are another source of algae growth besides the lights.
IMO you would need 2 fixtures over a 3.5' tank.