PDA

View Full Version : Peacock mantis shrimp friends?

Bobbitworm13
07/17/2016, 07:53 AM
I am setting up a 30 gallon mantis tank and was wondering if he could have friends. I have all my equipment except the actinic light bulb(probably getting that later today) so I'm ready to start my cycle. I was wondering if I could put either A) a yellow-tail damsel or B) a goby/shrimp pair? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

nmotz
07/17/2016, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the hobby! You can certainly keep a Peacock in a 30 gallon, but they do like to wander a lot and might find that space a little cramped, especially if you get a 6" adult. My Peacock is in a 40B that has a nice footprint, but I still wish I had more room for him to explore. He explores every corner of the tank about 3-4 times per day at least.

While I can't tell you for certain how aggressive your individual mantis will be, I will tell you that you'll have more luck with the damsel than with the goby/pistol shrimp combo. In general, fish that swim up in the water column fare better with Peacocks than those that don't.

My Peacock absolutely hates anything it finds in the sand and will kill it immediately. If it sees a crab or something hiding under a rock, it will dig tirelessly until it flushes it out. I've never tried a fish but something tells me that it would be a no-go. I used to have cleaner shrimps and Peppermints that did ok. He killed every single one of them eventually.

Long story short, avoid the goby/pistol, but many (not all) Peacock owners report success with a damsel or other small fish. Best of luck!

CSalty
07/17/2016, 11:56 PM
All of his friends will turn to food

SSgt Saltwater

Bobbitworm13
07/19/2016, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. I may try a damsel still haven't decided

Jlentz
07/23/2016, 04:15 AM
Everything that hits the water is a write off.

Having said that mine does pretty well with a single lawnmower blenny and a yellowtail damsel. I've had mixed luck with conches, emerald crabs,& seahares. He really likes to eat hermits. I buy them 50 at a time.

I got a few baseball size turbos from the Lfs awhile back, I've seen them take a few hits but that's about it.

Fish that I've lost to him.
Chromis
Yellowtails
CBB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snorvich
07/24/2016, 05:54 AM
Mantis shrimp do not like or want "friends".

nmotz
07/24/2016, 10:53 AM

Yeah but I think he just used that as a figure of speech to be fair. Practically every mantis shrimp owner that I know of (including myself!) has tried to introduce "friends" at some point. Let's just say "the results vary!" hahahah

kegogut
07/24/2016, 04:22 PM
Ive had a few fish with my peacock and they were fine. eibli angel,couple clowns,damsel.

he never went after any of them, the damsel would even swim inside his cave sometimes.

nmotz
07/24/2016, 04:49 PM
Ive had a few fish with my peacock and they were fine. eibli angel,couple clowns,damsel.

he never went after any of them, the damsel would even swim inside his cave sometimes.

I hear ya, this is why it's hard to advise people on what to do in situations like this. Some Peacocks won't kill everything else in the tank, but it's important to discuss the risk of putting anything with a mantis shrimp (especially prized fish).

Jlentz
07/25/2016, 01:48 PM

Are you kidding? They love friends. You just never know when you want a new snack... Lol

nmotz
07/25/2016, 04:00 PM
Are you kidding? They love friends. You just never know when you want a new snack... Lol

Haha, yeah Neptune does get pretty excited whenever there is a "visitor" in the tank. I swear, as soon as any new creature touches the water, she's out of her burrow searching for it.

She also recognizes the smell of my hands in the water. This is interesting because I always rinse w/vinegar and RO/DI water but the smell of anything new in the water brings her out. She'll try to catch my hand, but I'm not all about that. I once allowed my old Peacock to grab onto a finger and he chomped down thinking it was food. He put a pretty good little hole in me. A reminder that mantis shrimp can hurt you in other ways besides using their raps.

Bobbitworm13
07/28/2016, 09:06 PM
After a small delay I finally got my sand in the tank and live rock will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm getting excited

nmotz
07/29/2016, 02:09 PM
After a small delay I finally got my sand in the tank and live rock will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm getting excited

Very cool, the anticipation really builds doesn't it? Remember that mantis shrimp normally go through a period of inactivity after they arrive. Stress and acclimation to their new surroundings takes its toll. Both my Peacocks didn't do much of anything but hide for the first 3-4 weeks. My old Peacock didn't use his raps at all for over a month. I was ready to take him back to the pet store almost. I thought he had broken them or something!

Once they feel comfortable they'll show off their personality.

Bobbitworm13
07/29/2016, 10:18 PM
What is a good size for pvc pipe for the den

nmotz
07/30/2016, 10:27 PM
Needs to be roughly 1.5x the width of the animal. A full grown adult will probably need a 3" diameter pipe. My Peacock is about 4" long, around 1.25" wide and has a 2" diameter PVC burrow.

Bobbitworm13
07/31/2016, 07:32 AM
Ok thanks