PDA

View Full Version : Stn sos

scar79
07/17/2016, 04:56 PM
Been in the SPS game for about 5 years and started up a new tank about 4 months ago. Starting off slow with some SPS and LPS. For SPS, I added a tenuis frag, 6" green slimer , 3" monti spongodes, an unknown 2" chunk, a 3" red dragon, and a nice 4" red planet chunk all about 2-3 months ago. The monti and the red planet started encrusting well, but about 3 weeks ago, my red dragon started STNing. After about a week it was 80% dead. About 2 weeks ago, the red planet and green slimer which had been encrusting well started to STN, interestingly only where they touched the rock. Last week I ended up fragging up the slimer and saved a 1" piece which has been fine. The red planet is much more solidly encrusted, but continues to lose flesh. The big three parameters have been rock solid at about 9dkh, 410, and 1300. Phosphate low 0.01-0.10, and nitrate almost undetectable on my salifert kit (under 1ppm). Salinity has been 1.025 or so, and I have calibrated my refract about 20 times to be safe since my last STN event in my old tank was due to high salinity. All LPS and zoas have been great. No signs of any pests after dipping and close inspection.

My last tank was an SPS grow house, and this setup is nearly identical except for lighting. It's a 48"x24"x27 lit by two radions at 40% and four 54w T5 bulbs all about 10" off the surface. Great skimmer, running a bit of GFO, dosing with a DOS, flow is from two WAV pumps, and my rock is the old marco rock bleached and vinegar bathed. No acid bath. Although the SPS had been encrusting well, it is curious to me that STN on 2 of the 3 heavily affected colonies started at the contact points with the rock.

Perhaps my tank is just too young still and I should expect this without too much head scratching, although with the success of my last tank, I like to have answers.

Appreciate all thoughts and input!

Reel North
07/17/2016, 06:43 PM
I think you know there's something wrong with the rock.

SnowManSnow
07/17/2016, 07:13 PM
i feel you man.
sometimes it just takes tank maturity, even when parameters are within acceptable parameters . Make sure your alk test kit isn't old. almost every necrosis event I ever had was related in some way to alk (normally low).

Just a thought.
B

scar79
07/18/2016, 07:24 AM
i feel you man.
sometimes it just takes tank maturity, even when parameters are within acceptable parameters . Make sure your alk test kit isn't old. almost every necrosis event I ever had was related in some way to alk (normally low).

Just a thought.
B

Worth a look since my ca has been dragging a bit behind the alk, though I tested my water with a different set of kits a few weeks ago and didn't remember alk being that far off of my usual readings.

zsuman101
07/18/2016, 09:17 PM
its a crazy tring this reefin gig, I have the best results with wild cora,l than I do with tank raised in my zeo reef,( and the opposite in my old school berlin with a twist( Bio pellet) reef. theres an echinata acro in my berlin that is supposed to be so difficult to grow and its a weed in the berlin... I frag it (large, small, medium) put it in the zeo tank , it changes color, grows, then stn till death, it sucks . I believe some corals just refuse to adapt for whatever reason who knows, and we just cant do anything right for them. good luck zsu

scar79
07/19/2016, 05:02 PM
Just as a little update - and I hope I'm not speaking too soon (knock on wood) - it looks like the stn has stopped on the red planet. The little 1" frag of green slimer that I had salvaged is also doing fine.

I didn't change anything because nothing was wrong. Just did a water change and kept an eye on parameters.