PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2 set ups

Ayriad
07/18/2016, 01:58 PM
Hello, even though I have a few fish who are over 10 years old. I am starting this thread here in beginners. I only had them this long due to very light stocking and water changes. I need very simplistic replies. I need to be able to tell my husband what I need. He can build a $500,000 robot for a factory but if he so much as touches the lawn mower it breaks..lol no joke!
So please be patient.
I have a 150g display with a 30 g refuge and about 20 g in the sump leaving enough room for power outages. It will eventually house a puffer and a few comparable companions.
I have not bought any fish in 5 years hoping to get that fish.
Well, Elmo the clown is 10 1/2 years now. His friend is almost 6. So I bought a used 40g drilled on the bottom. Well dingy me didn't look at how he had the drain. (hard lesson learned) he had tried to repair a leaky baffle with not only caulk but some kind of cement. Hubs felt sorry for me so bought me another one. It looks much better.
1. Nobody ever tells me I can't do something. I finally got off all of that cement on the first tank. It is so hot I litterally about passed out a bit ago. :(
I can't decide how to plumb this the easiest way. It is drilled on the bottom but not in a really good spot for an over flow. The center of the hole is 8 and 1/4 inch from a long side. Center of hole is 3 and 1/ 2 inches from back. This will be a qt tank in the basement. Looks do not matter. I have a small 20 g I can use as a sump.
Should I get an over flow box or put in pvc and bottom drill an inky box?
2nd tank. Another 40g breeder.
Has an inky box with a 1 and 1/2 inch drain in the back. Return plumbing is duo with 3/4 inch pipe. Each half divided into 2 loc lines in tank. It has a scwd in the back. I am taking that off. Where it is at if it fails the whole tank would have to be taken down. So off that will go.
It has a 4 and 1/2 feet head space with those duo 3/4 inch returns. They have 90 degree elbows. This will be my first reef. It will have a fine deep sand bed, and sps corals.
I have not bought the sump yet. But will make one out of the largest standard size I can get into a 15" x 30" space. A 10g refugium maybe 20g will be mounted higher than the sump. It will be gravity fed back to the sump. I am making a cute 3 panel privacy panel to hide the refugium :)
Hide an eyesore and add feng shui, lol.
I need pump advice on tank 2. Plumping advice on the bottom drilled tank 1.
Sorry for the long post. Thank you kindly in advance.
A

Ayriad
07/18/2016, 02:05 PM
Ps. The bottom drilled tank is a 1 and 3/4 inch hole.

Ayriad
07/18/2016, 03:38 PM
Never mind. I found my answers elsewhere. Good day.