PDA

View Full Version : fleshy legions on older bangaii card

jenwebber3
07/18/2016, 09:32 PM
hi all,
i have a bangaii that is about 4-5 years old (would have to find his receipt to say for sure), and he'd been seemingly fine until today, when he presented with some fleshy tumor-like things. one protruded from his head like a horn (which fell off when i moved him to quarantine), and he has two lumps on top of his head that haven't broken through. more troubling, he has a protrusion of tissue on one gill. it doesn't look like a living thing/parasite, more like his own tissue. could he just be old and cancerous? as per your questions:

1. How old is this aquarium?
-6 years. had the same setup all along, sump with overflow, runs about 400gph i think, protein skimmer, two koralia top and bottom, air bubbler, heat 78-80, salt 1.024

2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level?

3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured?
-1.024, i use one of those refractor things

4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium?
-put in a splendid dottyback about 7 months ago, everyone else is over 3 years. the dotty isn't really aggressive at all, just active, and the bangaii has always held his own

5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How?
-just put him in there tonight when i noticed the lesions. after initial stress of moving, he calmed down and is just hanging to one side (i think because of the growth on the other gill), put in some melafix, but didn't know what else to even try, not knowing what this is.

6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When?

7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer?
-he's in water same as the main tank right now until i figure out what to do

8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color?
-fleshy peach-colored protrusion on his head where the cream-colored horn broke off, and a yellowy-colored thing on his gill. looks like an intestine in color/texture. i attached a pic. two lumps under his skin on his head

9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding -light? How active is the fish?
-he'd been fine, he's always sort of hung back until feeding time, but has never been bullied. was still eating last night.

10. Is the fish eating? What?
-i didn't try feeding him tonight, since i had just put him in Q and he was pretty stressed. but he was eating fine until then (i feed a mix of multiple types of frozen (brine, bloodworm, marine mix, etc) and flake with dry plankton and dried spirulina brine. frozen one day, dry the next.

65 gal tank, live rock, mushroom coral, polyps, scavengers, longnose hawk, green chromis, goby

any/all help/ideas greatly appreciated!
-jen

ThRoewer
07/18/2016, 11:07 PM
4-5 years is pretty old for a Banggai cardinal, so it could be that this is brought on by his (it's a male) immune system starting to fail due to old age.

It could be an internal form of Lymphocystis, but that's hard to diagnose from a picture.
Lymphocystis is a virus infection and not curable by medications but rather by assisting the fish's immune system in providing good nutrition and clean water. Though if his immune system is failing due to old age there would not much that could be done.

It may still be something else.

ThRoewer
07/19/2016, 12:47 AM
accidental double post