PDA

View Full Version : Got drugs?

KrazieKiKi
07/19/2016, 10:44 AM
Hey everyone. I was just wondering what everyone else uses as meds and quarantines for their SH's. Since these guys are so prone to bacterials and pretty much EVERY disease I wanted some input on what meds I should keep on hand as a first aid kit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vlangel
07/19/2016, 07:02 PM
I have found that Furan 2 is what most folks try when they suspect a bacterial infection. I personally have had good luck with Triple Sulfa for bacterial infections. Bio-bandage is helpful if it appears to be an ulcer.

I have not needed to to treat my seahorses for any parasitic conditions or for gas bubble disease so maybe someone with more experience could answer those questions.

I will say that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

BlueCat1949
07/20/2016, 08:50 AM
If you keep your temps below 74 and keep your tank spotless you will have less problems pop up. For gas bubble disease i would have Diamox on hand plus what vlangel recommended.

Diamox is a human prescription med but I think you can get it online or, in my case, I got it from a vet.

One of the most important things is to observe your horses behavior particularly at feeding time. I always watched my horses eat and loss of apatite is a sure sign something is amiss.

KrazieKiKi
07/23/2016, 09:52 AM
I appreciate the info!!! Thanks :) I have metroplex and focus I keep on hand now. I'll look at getting the two you nice folks suggested as well. I keep my tank at 76 degrees. Looking at small chillers but luckily I live in Alaska so room temp is consistent at 76 during the summer. Any input on chillers? I saw one post from a guy about one called an "ice pick"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iluvmyfishes
07/23/2016, 11:38 AM
You probably do not need a chiller.

vlangel
07/23/2016, 07:45 PM
I bet if you had a fan blowing across the top of your tank or sump you could bring it down the 2 degrees to get it to 74 that is recommended to help control pathogenic bacteria. Of course it will greatly increase your evaporation.