PDA

View Full Version : Anything I should know dosing 2 part/ Suggestions on Salt?

fltekdiver
07/19/2016, 04:54 PM
My GHL2 Dosing pump came in, along with Salifert Alkalinity Calcium Magnesium Combo Test Kit

My tank is LPS with Bubble Tips, and I'm starting to buy SPS coral now that I will be able to dose

Anything I should know about setting up a doser? Suggestions on mounting it inside the cabinet? I was going to get some SS L Brackets and a small shelf, and mount it on that ?

I'm currently using Coral Pro Salt

Question :

Anything I should be aware of that could negative effect the tank dosing 2 part? Another words, I know I should watch for precipitation of Calk, and dose AlK opposite of Calk. Anything I should watch for ( This is my first time getting into dosing after 5 years of being in the hobby )

I ordered BRS 2 Part Total Package Recipe 2 Small - Lowers pH - use if pH is 8.4+

Should I switch to IO salt since I'll be doing? I don't see the need to run $75 bucket of salt when dosing?

I can get Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt for $50 bucks at a LFS that makes 170G , or IO for $42 , any suggestions?

bertoni
07/19/2016, 04:59 PM
Two-part will raise the SG over time, so I'd watch for that. Instant Ocean is fine to use. A lot of Tanks of the Month have run on it. I haven't heard anything about the AquaForest products, but they might be fine.

The pH effect of the Recipe 2 supplement is very small and temporary. If the tank's pH runs a bit low, the Recipe 1 might help encourage a bit more growth, but in most tanks, the difference is likely to be small.

fltekdiver
07/19/2016, 05:02 PM
Ok thank you,

I do weekly water changes of 20% , so I'll watch for the SG change. I didn't about this, so thanks

I'm currently running @ 1.024SG

rosterv
07/20/2016, 08:53 AM
I think your logic stands up against $75 salt. You can refresh a lot more water with $40 boxed varieties.

tmz
07/20/2016, 10:07 AM
I don't see a benefit to higher priced salts given the alternatives for supplementing alk and calcium and magnesium.
I think weekly 20% water changes could be less. Most go around 5% t o 10% per week. Personally , I like 1% per day.

fltekdiver
07/20/2016, 04:07 PM
Ok thanks. My sump is 11G and my DT is 56G, so I just drain and clean the sump weekly

Thanks for everyone's help I appreciate it, I'm alittle nervouse getting into dosing for the first time :)