PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this thing?

DanB80TTS
07/20/2016, 12:30 PM
Just got my first coral and as I was holding the rock this popped out (that I touched/it touched me)
I'm not sure if its a sea slug, or a hare or maybe a snail without a shell. What is it? Do I want it in my tank? And will it kill me? (I know sounds dramatic but I'm saltwater noob and know some things can be nasty

Secondly, is there anything visually wrong with the mushrooms? I don't have coral dip and don't know what to look for, does it look alright? One of the mushrooms mouths has tiny little tentacles that I wasn't sure is it might be a pest.
I know the one mushroom closed up but it did just go into the tank and i think there might be a little bit more flow passing that one.

Sugar Magnolia
07/20/2016, 12:39 PM
The critter is a beneficial stomatella snail. Give the mushroom a couple of days to settle in, leave it be until then. They get irritated easily and will spill their guts when unhappy, which is what you're seeing with the stringy stuff coming out of its mouth.

Tisbe
07/20/2016, 02:28 PM
+1 Sugar Magnolia Stomatella snail.

mcgyvr
07/20/2016, 03:23 PM
you should bookmark for future use..
http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker.shtml

DanB80TTS
07/23/2016, 09:03 PM
Awesome link, thanks mcgyvr.

I had no idea I had replies on this forum, I guess it does't auto subscribe to you own stuff?

vikinglord13
07/23/2016, 10:52 PM
Awesome link, thanks mcgyvr.

I had no idea I had replies on this forum, I guess it does't auto subscribe to you own stuff?

Nope. When you first post the thread (or when you post a reply) you have to check the subscribe box at the bottom. You can also elect what sort of notification (if any) you want as well.

Breadman03
07/23/2016, 11:46 PM
Nope. When you first post the thread (or when you post a reply) you have to check the subscribe box at the bottom. You can also elect what sort of notification (if any) you want as well.

...or set your options to subscribe to any threads you participate in.