PDA

View Full Version : Chaetodon Rainfordi

Naraku
07/20/2016, 10:03 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to post my experience.
All 3 Rainfordi arrived OK but they have ick on their fins.
Did you not see any ich when they were shipped?

BlueZooAquatics
07/21/2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the comments. We are pretty sure no animal, especially gobies, would ship with a crypto breakout in process. It is really rare for such small fish to have large pathogens attacking them. We do keep them in sand bottom tanks so it could be bits of debris you are seeing attache do the fins.

If you can, email [email protected] and send some pictures so we can have a look.

Naraku
07/21/2016, 08:55 PM
Hi,

Its the butterflyfish.
You had held the shipment due to a temperature spike and I'm thinking it stressed them out.

I will try to post a picture tomorrow

BlueZooAquatics
07/22/2016, 02:20 PM
We will keep an eye out for the pictures. Thank you for that.

The delay in shipping butterflies was only a precaution. We tend to be overly cautious, especially this time of year with the heat, with delicate fish like butterflies but none of them were harmed and they all shipped fine.

Take care.

Naraku
07/23/2016, 10:04 PM
My camera is not of high quality so I took a video instead.

I am on my 2nd transfer of the tank transfer method and they have improved a lot.

When they arrived, they were covered with spots.
Now, they only have a few.

In the video, its not very clear but you can see that the fins are still cloudy and towards the end, one fish has a white spot on the tail.

Naraku
07/23/2016, 10:05 PM
http://s666.photobucket.com/user/awwinterfall/media/Rainfordi_zpsmsigdvzf.mp4.html?filters[user]=144362066&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

BlueZooAquatics
07/25/2016, 04:45 PM
Thank you for the video! They are looking really good. Nice fat, healthy fish. Hopefully they are eating well for you. You might want to try an extra portion of food mixed with Vitamin C to help their immune system along.

Let us know if we can be of anymore assistance. Take care.

Naraku
07/25/2016, 09:05 PM
What were they eating at your facility?

They are not very receptive to food for now.

BlueZooAquatics
07/26/2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the question. We feed enriched live brine shrimp as well as our Blue Zoo Mix pellet food to most of the fish we keep.

Hope that helps.

Naraku
07/26/2016, 07:08 PM
Did they eat pellets or only the brine shrimp?

BlueZooAquatics
07/27/2016, 01:11 PM
Great question. Our BZA mix food contains lots of ingredients including stuff like the GP larval diet and Cyclopeeze. Fish like many butterflies as well as planktivores will pick this smaller food out of the mix. We do feed a combination of live food and prepared food so there is no way of knowing if an animal is confirmed eating one or the other or both.

caribfan
07/28/2016, 06:28 PM
Any updates? Are they eating? How is the ich?

Naraku
07/28/2016, 10:40 PM
Hi,

Will update on my thread. Started sampling pellets but spitting out.
Almost no spots left.

Naraku
07/29/2016, 06:15 PM
Still fat but not eating much.

No spots left. one more transfer to go.

There is a clear hierarchy. Minor chasing.

Naraku
08/02/2016, 10:30 AM
OK still not eating.

Pretty much thrown everything

1) spectrum pellets- sampled once and spat out. won't touch anymore.

2) LRF- take bits here and there. won't really eat it. Stopped eating it.

3) clams- ignore

4) mysis - sparked interest, but won't try

They are still fat and healthy.

Their poo was dark, so bluezoo must have fed them something dark in color.
I noticed that they tend to go after tiny or dark pieces.

Any suggestions?

BlueZooAquatics
08/02/2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the update. The dark color is the BZA mix pellets. To initiate a feeding response, try live adult brine shrimp. Fish react different to live food than dead food and this will trigger the feeding response in captivity.

Also, make sure to supply them with live rock to graze on. This will also help with initiating the feeding response.

Naraku
08/02/2016, 01:15 PM
is bza pellets available for purchase?

BlueZooAquatics
08/02/2016, 01:20 PM
Yes, we sell it in 4, 8 and 16oz jars. But you still need to initiate the feeding response if it is not there. The only way to do that is with live food or with live rock to graze on.