PDA

View Full Version : MP10 in Reef-Crest Random Mode (yellow)

Yellow_donkey
07/21/2016, 10:18 AM
After reading it sounds like Reef-Crest Random mode is the most used Reef tnak mode and I have switched to that from Short Random. My question is, using the EcoTech flow Calulator is showing me a range I need to be in for optimal water flow:

https://i.imgsafe.org/0f548c0d1b.png

Since Reef-Crest is up and down frequently should I set my max into that "just past middle" intensity or high to compensate for the up and downs that come with Reef Crest Random?

https://i.imgsafe.org/0f6170e46b.png

I currently have max, set just above middle, but do I need to take it higher to make sure I capture the needed flow rate overall, since I am in a random mode?

If anyone followed that, and has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

davehead86
07/25/2016, 10:18 AM
If you have it set as max at the middle then you are at something close to 750gph. If thats all the flow you need then its fine. If you want to keep SPS you are going to need more flow so you will need to set the max point a little higher. Dont worry about the low points, there is no constant flow rate in the ocean. You have the right thoughts about the high points.

You are also in a 29 gallon tank so personally i would try a few different max points and a few different locations. It could stir up a lot of stuff in the wrong location.

Idal305
07/25/2016, 08:38 PM
I have my mp10 set and 100% on reef Crest In my biocube 29. It's been like this for a year now with no issues. I do run a bare ottomh tank though. I just ordered a second mp10 so I'll be lowering the gph some.

Yellow_donkey
07/26/2016, 07:38 PM
I have my mp10 set and 100% on reef Crest In my biocube 29. It's been like this for a year now with no issues. I do run a bare ottomh tank though. I just ordered a second mp10 so I'll be lowering the gph some.

Ya that is my main issue. I have a Fiji sand bottom and just last night got my return diffused correctly, but at only 12 height that MP10 at the rear on crest 60% that left side of the tank blow bare daily. I need to find some heavy ground coral I can place just on that side.

Otherwise I would take it up even higher. Any suggestions aside from crushed coral? Hate to have crushed on one section and fiji sand all else.