PDA

View Full Version : Breeding sharks

Sharkluver4
07/21/2016, 12:44 PM
I am planning on getting sharks and I don't know anything about breeding so I am kind if interested in breeding them. I think the pups are just so cute. Do they need special conditions to breed or will they just breed on there own?

Shivsreef
07/26/2016, 02:03 AM
For breeding sharks, you'll have to wait about 3 years, your best bet would be to get an indoor pond and throw 2 pups in there (on male and one female) feed them until they reach sexual maturity and they'll do it on their own, but bamboo sharks need big spaces to mate due to the dance they do. I only know of one hobbyist who has done this before, however multiple public aquaria have this ongoing.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Shivsreef
07/26/2016, 02:04 AM
You'd also need another smaller indoor pond where you can't put the purses in to hatch, so it's sort of like a nursery for the sharks.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

FWC
07/26/2016, 02:59 AM
I had a breeding group of 4.6 White Spotted Bamboo Sharks in a pond 8 feet x 2.5 feet x 1.5 feet deep.

After 3 years on a diet of chopped capelin/herring/smelt, scallops, and clams they started breeding. Over a 3 month span I got over 120 eggs from the group, of which ~90% developed.

Nothing special for care, standard day night cycle (lights on at 8, off at 8:30), housed on sand with hides for the adults. The females like to have structures to lay their eggs on. Incubated the eggs and babies in a separate tank. Took about 3.5 months for the eggs to hatch, but they were kept on the cooler side(21-22) during incubation, but I'm sure if you kept them warmer (around 25-26), they would hatch faster.

Wilrok_1
08/22/2016, 07:01 AM
I had a breeding group of 4.6 White Spotted Bamboo Sharks in a pond 8 feet x 2.5 feet x 1.5 feet deep.

After 3 years on a diet of chopped capelin/herring/smelt, scallops, and clams they started breeding. Over a 3 month span I got over 120 eggs from the group, of which ~90% developed.

Nothing special for care, standard day night cycle (lights on at 8, off at 8:30), housed on sand with hides for the adults. The females like to have structures to lay their eggs on. Incubated the eggs and babies in a separate tank. Took about 3.5 months for the eggs to hatch, but they were kept on the cooler side(21-22) during incubation, but I'm sure if you kept them warmer (around 25-26), they would hatch faster.

Do you see any profit ? Sounds lucrative , awesome !