PDA

View Full Version : Clown fish breading

steveviv
07/22/2016, 06:53 AM
I have a couple of Ocellaris clowns that seem to be ready to lay eggs. They had done it a couple times in my previous 55 gallon tank. Now they are in my 120. Should I pull them out and put them in my 55 so they are alone? I don't think any will survive in the 120. Feedback would be appreciated!

farfromsea
07/22/2016, 10:09 AM
You could always try to fish the eggs out after they are laid, but a dedicated tank would probably be easiest. IMO putting the fry in their own tank after they hatch instead of your usual display tank would be easier since they produce high nitrates from having so many of them in there and the risk of die-off etc. There is lots of into out there on clownfish. Good luck!

jimbow
07/22/2016, 12:10 PM
OH from the title I thought you were going to eat them.

D-Nak
07/22/2016, 02:10 PM
OH from the title I thought you were going to eat them.

Yes, breaded cod sounds good. Breaded clowns, notsomuch.

But seriously, there's tons of information on breeding clowns online. No one will tell you that they can be hatched and grown in the same tank as the parents. I raise my baby clowns in 10 gallon tanks, then they eventually move into larger tanks.

president89
08/04/2016, 04:02 AM
Google pickles guide to breeding Clownfish. That tells you everything you need to know.

Wilrok_1
08/22/2016, 06:57 AM
You can keep them in your main tank get yourself a fry catcher from Chad Vossen , turn off lights and pump night of spawn and the catcher will scoop them up .

hbrochs
08/22/2016, 07:11 AM
Or you could put a flower pot, or ceramic tile in the display tank. They like laying eggs on these things for some reason. Then the day before the fry hatch you pull the tile and put it in the nursery tank with rotifers.

Howard