PDA

View Full Version : dragonface pipefish and ordering online

j_mazzy
07/22/2016, 05:26 PM
I am looking into doing a sps and Corythoichthys dragonface only tank. They apparently do well in groups or harems however some sites say multiple males will not be tolerated.....

I prefer to order from LA; however, it seems there is no sexing option. I would like 3-5 but without anyway to sex ahead of time I may be doing more harm than good.

I posted here to broaden the responses in the hopes someone knows or has done special orders or sexing with LA or knows a place that sends sexed pipefish.

Ron Reefman
07/23/2016, 04:35 AM
Have you ever kept a pipefish before?

I understand they can be quite difficult to keep.

j_mazzy
07/23/2016, 05:47 AM
No, but I have been doing research on them. They have been known to do well in sps tanks, eat red bugs, and love copepod of which I have 2 dedicated refugiums and a culture.

Rhygar666
07/23/2016, 06:13 AM
how big will your tank be?
i got 2 Janssi Pipefish for about 15 Months now. i got a pipette for feeding frozen stuff and the pipefish come out and eat when i start feeding,
they eat all kinds of frozen stuff, (i mix cyclops, artemia and mysis and refreeze them), just be sure that you get healthy looking ones,
i dont know if ordering online will do for you, i went ant take a good look at them, same as mandarins, want a healthy one in case it doesnt go and eat frozen food for awhile.

Bent
07/23/2016, 08:01 AM
I didn't think pipefish tolerated a lot of flow...

j_mazzy
07/23/2016, 10:57 AM
there are a couple threads here about pipefish and flow in sps tanks. They seem to tolerate it well.

I don't have access to any LFS locally. Live Aquaria has the great guarantees, however I need females over males. This the problem even in an LFS, if I special order them there is A no guarantee, and B I can't be certain if they get males or females so I have to order 10 and then pick 3-4....

Wish I could reach some breeders lol.

E.litvin
07/23/2016, 09:46 PM
Following along, I know they're great for pest prevention as far as red bugs are concerned