PDA

View Full Version : TDY to Hurlburt

Hawkinson
07/22/2016, 08:44 PM
A quick question to my fellow military here. I'm going on a TDY to Hurlburt Field in the near future and I'm looking for some fun stuff to do. Does anyone know if there are any good snorkle spots or just places I should check out in general? First time in 2 years I have gotten a chance to get out, so I'm very excited and want to make the most of it. Thanks in advance

vikinglord13
07/22/2016, 10:41 PM
There are some sunken ships just offshore within the area. You could probably find a tour to one (though, I don't know how deep they are). If you have a SCUBA license, that will help with the wrecks and artificial reefs.

There is a Gulfarium somewhere along the island (I think near Navarre, possibly near Destin).

Go to McGuire's Irish Pub. Go to the Beach if you're into that. If you're willing to drive there's plenty to do along the island all the way into Alabama (Orange Beach, Florabama, Gulf Shores, Gulf Breeze, Pensacola.) Some of the local State Parks can be serene if you just want to get a breather and relax. Definitely get in contact with any of the local Airmen. Those dudes will know the hot spots to hang out. There's a bar somewhere in Destin(?) where you can do Beer Tastings and have dinner, I think on Tuesdays.

When I was stationed at NAS Pensacola I frequently saw some of my buds from Hurlburt hanging out at Seville Quarter in Pensacola. It's not a great spot, but it's known in the area. Also, NAS Pensacola itself is pretty cool. The Navy Air Museum is worth it. I never went to the lighthouse, but heard good things.

Also, there's an armory (armament?) museum on Eglin.

vikinglord13
07/22/2016, 10:42 PM
Also I met a lot of people who went deep sea fishing, spear fishing, or snorkeled for scallops.

Also the Fish House/Oyster Bar in Pensacola is a nice place to eat if you're willing to pay a bit for seafood.

Hawkinson
07/23/2016, 01:38 AM
I'm definitely going to look into deep sea fishing. Depends on how much a charter is. I went on one in Washington during the salmon run and it was amazing. Thanks for the tips brother!

vikinglord13
07/23/2016, 10:41 PM
Any time!

If you ever make it to Pensacola there's a LFS there called Water World. Naturally you wouldn't buy anything while on TDY but they have a neat 400G display tank. There livestock is interesting to watch swim around too.

Hawkinson
07/24/2016, 07:27 PM
The base looks to be about an hour away (if that) to Pensacola. I'll have to check it out