PDA

View Full Version : Marine Velvet and cleaning the DT

networkcrasher
07/25/2016, 12:55 PM
I was about 6-7 months into a 20g IM Nuvo AIO, and was putting in my 6th, and last fish (after cycle, did 1-2 fish a month), and the last fish I put in, a Flame Angel, stressed and velvet started showing up. Over the next 1-1.5 weeks or so, lost everything but my inverts.

Now I have a 10g QT. HOB with floss, pump, sponge filter, and heater. Some PVC elbows, and that's about it - a light for examination, don't plan to leave it on all the time.

My question is, which I'm having a hell of a time finding a decent answer to after many days of searching, is how to *really* make sure my DT is rid of anything. I've read so much conflicting information that my head is spinning, and I think a hard-nosed approach will get me what I need.

I basically want to make sure my DT is completely clear of any pests before I start doing QT from here on out, making sure to keep the DT clear of parasites. My initial idea was to just leave the tank fallow for 72 days (have a reminder on my phone for the end of September), but after thinking about it some more, and reading quite a bit, I'm wondering if just going fallow is really fool proof. Then I started to research bleach, and figured that it would just be best to remove the inverts, bleach the tank, and recycle. I even considered replacing all the sand, as at this point, it's a minimal investment, and gives me some decent reassurance. Not to mention it'll be nice, clean, new sand.

Currently in my DT, I have a nassarius snail, cleaner shrimp, 5 or 6 small (blue or red legged) hermits, 5 astrea snails.

So I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with:

1. Move inverts to QT, then in the DT, I'd remove all my media, and as much of my sand as I can, and trash it. I'd leave the live rock in. Add some qty of bleach into the tank and run it for a few days to kill anything. Replace all the water, put in new sand, start a cycle. Move inverts back in after cycle, meanwhile QT'ing a fish or two while the cycle progresses, adding them in after a 8 week QT.

2. If I move my inverts to my QT, do I need to put anything in there for them to dig around in, play on? They'd be in there for whatever period of time it takes for my DT to recycle after a possible bleach cleaning. This actually has been the hardest bit of information to find. No one seems to QT inverts, or if they do, it's for short periods of time as mostly a rinse, but I haven't seen where folks address the environment they'll need in QT. Do I just do a tupperware tub of sand? What happens when they invariably bail out of the tupperware and can't get back in? Just feed them algae tabs or seaweed?

3. I've read that leaving a tank fallow isn't fool proof as some of the encrusted cysts can live for a long, long time (think many, many years).

I basically want to make my DT as spick-and-span as possible. I'm not afraid to do anything to make this happen (as far as a rebuild) - just want to make sure I'm taking care of my inverts properly.

networkcrasher
07/27/2016, 11:24 AM
Dang, was hoping for some suggestions :(

Lfunnyfarm
08/02/2016, 07:33 PM
Look at these threads:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2490339&highlight=fallow+tank
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468885&highlight=fallow+tank

If you look up "life span" and "life cycle" of Marine Ich, looking at posts and articles that are heavy on scientific data not anecdotal data, it might put your mind at ease.

OrQidz
08/02/2016, 10:49 PM
I think 6 fish including a flame angel is too many for a 20g Nuvo. Not that it caused the disease outbreak, but your fish could have been more stressed out if they were overcrowded. Just a thought.

I personally would just let the tank go fallow, but I understand wanting to clean it. I think you would be looking at a long cycle period, having essentially sterilized the rock. You could add some live rock/sand to seed the tank, but you'd be defeating the purpose of bleaching it in the first place.

I think your inverts will be ok indefinitely in your smaller tank. Feed them some bits of food/nori until you have some algae for them. Nassarius, I'm not sure. Maybe a broad, shallow tupperware with sand for them? They can crawl out of it if they want. They would probably figure their way back in, or you could put them back in. The hermits might appreciate a small piece of rock or something to climb around on. I think they'll be fine though. Make sure they have extra shells.

Good luck with your project. You're right about not QT'ing the inverts. Most people don't, so there may not be a lot of info out there.

networkcrasher
08/05/2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks Funny Farm and OrQidz. FF - your approach seems wise to me. I wouldn't mind err'ing on the side of science. These are lifeforms afterall.

I had a Clown, 2 firefish, a yasha, a blue regal and the flame in there. I figured the bio load with the 3 gobies wasn't too bad to have the other 3. Of course I planned to trade in the regal after it got too big. I have two shorties, and nemo and dory and that...

It seems since going fallow that I must have a serious copapod problem on my hands. Little white things crawling all over the glass and sand. They're everywhere. I guess they're copapods anyway, about the size of half a grain of rice. Little white buggers. I know it's not an issue - just interesting how there's tons of them now.

I'll probably just go fallow and see how it goes. I'm definitely doing QT protocols from now on with cupramine and prazi. Going to go more scientific this time around rather than haphazard.

All that's in the tank now is the cleaner shrimp, some snails, and some hermit crabs. Still getting algae from who knows where. I feed the cleaner a bit of LRF every day or two (which he seems to thoroughly love grabbing off my tweezers), and throw in a few algae tablets for the crabs. The snails seem just fine eating what shows up every day.

Sk8r
08/05/2016, 08:36 PM
The op asked about velvet. THis is specific on velvet: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276561 OT, I wouldn't use copper unless there is absolutely no other way to save a fish, and then I'd look up the species to see whether it tolerates it: not all do. Prazi is ok. Not copper.

Lfunnyfarm
08/09/2016, 11:55 AM
Sk8tr,
Some on this forum have suggested Chloroquine Phosphate as the best treatment for an active infestation of Amyloodinium. And it sounds gentler, simpler and much more efficacious than copper. Your opinion?