PDA

View Full Version : T5 Supplement to combat LED shading

greg683x
07/25/2016, 03:58 PM
So I'm running 2 Kessil 360WE over my 90 gallon reef tank and Im currently combating the effects of the LED shading with my branching SPS corals. The bland colors on the underside of the branches is driving me nuts.

So to hopefully cure this problem, I'm looking to supplement the lights with a couple T5 bulbs.

I dont have a lot of experience with t5 fixtures so I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the T5 supplement really solve the LED shading?

2. I have a generic coralife 2bulb T5 fixture thats barely ever been used, that Im hoping I can use and not have to spend the $$ on another light fixture after dropping a ton on these Kessils. Will this light fixture be adequate to use for the T5HO bulbs by CoralPlus and ATI that are gonna be used to pull this off?

Thanks all for the help

cali9dub
07/25/2016, 05:29 PM
I just split a 4 bulb fixture to add T5's to my Kessils for the same reason. Works great so far !
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/cali9dub/Mobile%20Uploads/CC3B0617-5653-49B2-AD8F-226EAAB39FB9_zpskyaenzng.jpg

kendrid
07/25/2016, 07:26 PM
I use a Miro 48" retrofit fixture for shading and dawn/dusk. T5s really fill in a lot of light where LEDs are very directional. I don't claim any better growth but I love the look.

greg683x
07/26/2016, 04:02 AM
Well I'm not really doing this for the look of the lights. I think the look is great now with just the kessils. The big thing for me is will the T5s be effective in getting the underside of my coral branches colored up. That's the big thing for me, and is the generic coralife fixture that I'm gonna use for these HO bulbs appropriate and gonna do the job.

soulpatch
07/26/2016, 08:54 AM
yes the T5 will help with the undersides and the shading you get with the LEDs. I run both T5 and Kessils on my tank for this reason.

greg683x
07/26/2016, 01:26 PM
yes the T5 will help with the undersides and the shading you get with the LEDs. I run both T5 and Kessils on my tank for this reason.

What type of t5 bulbs are you using to supplement your kessils? and how many are you running if you dont mind me asking

soulpatch
07/26/2016, 01:33 PM
I have a 6 bulb ATI fixture with coral +, blue+, and actinic bulbs and 3 kessil a360 on my tank. It is a 6 foot 150.

greg683x
07/26/2016, 02:15 PM
I have a 6 bulb ATI fixture with coral +, blue+, and actinic bulbs and 3 kessil a360 on my tank. It is a 6 foot 150.

I have a 4' 90 gallon tank, in your opinion is supplementing with just a 2 bulb fixture (with one coral+ and one actinic) enough, or would a 4 bulb scenario be necessary?

soulpatch
07/26/2016, 02:31 PM
I think it all depends on your shadowing, rock work, and corals that you have. I would think a 4 bulb unit would be better with 2 in front and 2 behind the kessils to give full coverage.

I have my ATI fixture over the tank with my Kessils angled in from the front of the tank (inside canopy) so I get the shimmer and look of the Kessil but with zero shadows throughout the tank.

greg683x
07/26/2016, 06:41 PM
I think it all depends on your shadowing, rock work, and corals that you have. I would think a 4 bulb unit would be better with 2 in front and 2 behind the kessils to give full coverage.

I have my ATI fixture over the tank with my Kessils angled in from the front of the tank (inside canopy) so I get the shimmer and look of the Kessil but with zero shadows throughout the tank.

thanks for the help!

Hamilton Tech
07/27/2016, 04:17 PM
Yes, adding T5 will definitely help with shadowing problem from LEDs.

greg683x
08/08/2016, 04:45 PM
when adding the ATI bulbs, is it necessary to use the coral+ bulb?? I dont like how white it makes the tank look, and Im wondering if its needed since the Kessils are already providing a lot of the whiter light.

Im wondering if I should use one purple and one blue+ -- What benefit would the coral+ bulb provide as far as supplementing the Kessils??

Bpb
08/08/2016, 08:01 PM
White bulbs and white diodes are two different animals spectrally, but I won't get into that. Your eyes may see them the same but what they're pumping out are quite different. If you're doing two bulbs in the front alone I would do a true actinic and a blue+. If you're going to retro one front one back just use 2 blue+. If it's a 4 bulb with two front two back, I'd do a true actinic and blue+ for each pairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk