PDA

View Full Version : Alkalinity gravity Drip -- How bad of an idea is this?

Rakie
07/25/2016, 10:58 PM
So between now and when I can afford a doser... I've setup an Alkalinity drip to run at night.

My tank isn't very large, but I'll typically wake up to see about a 1.3 dKH drop. So right now I've got a bottle with an airline + Airline valve, dripping at 1 drop every 2 minutes. This gives me about 3ml per hour.

I typically dose 36ml Alk per day, and this should drip around that much in 12 hours.

Ron Reefman
07/26/2016, 04:01 AM
If it works for you and is reliable, good for you. How do hospitals dose patients? Often it's with a gravity feed drip line.

Rakie
07/26/2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks Ron. I just wondered if I was missing something obvious because I did a search and there's no information on Alk dripping from here or any other reef forum/website.

My update is it worked pretty damn well.. Woke up to an Alkalinity reading of 8.6 from 9.3 -- That's still a swing of 0.7, but that's much, much better than a swing of 1.3+

My corals look a little happier than usual today. Better PE from SPS and fully open Zoa's.

UTCReefer
07/26/2016, 09:36 AM
You'd be better off with a cheap dosing pump on a timer. Gravity could work though.

Rakie
07/26/2016, 09:59 AM
Yeah I'll be getting one when I've got the funds available. This is just a bandaid to help me not get such massive swings overnight.

mcgyvr
07/26/2016, 10:10 AM
As long as the drip rate is consistent then there is NO problem using a drip like that..

Rakie
07/26/2016, 10:44 AM
As long as the drip rate is consistent then there is NO problem using a drip like that..

I've timed the drops with a stop watch multiple times last night and this morning, so far it's been 100% consistent. And cut my daily alk swing in half. I'll keep testing both the drip rate, and the Alkalinity to make sure it's stable.

I plan to use this for like a month max.

hkgar
07/26/2016, 11:21 AM
I've got a BRS 1.1 ml/min dosing pump I am not using. It might be in your price range. PM me if you have an interest.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html