PDA

View Full Version : Lamp Colour Question

Watchm@n
07/27/2016, 08:47 AM
Hi All

I currently have a 6 lamp ATI fixture with E5 Euroquatics LED lamps.
2x blue pop 2x warm daylight and 2x daylight.

In the morning and evening I only have the blue pop on and it really does get the coral to pop and look amazing.
The only “issue” I have is I seem to lose sight of my fish in that light (I know this is not really an issue).
I’ve tried swapping one blue pop out for one of the other lamps but then I just end up with this dull washed out blue look… and the coral is obviously not that vibrant any more.

So my question is.. is it really just one or the other? Or is there some other lamp that I can swap with one of my blue pops that will still give me some visibility of my fish but still get the coral to pop. I know Euroquatics are releasing a marine pink soon (no date yet) but will this be a good substitute or is marine pink used for something else (sorry, I'm not too clued up on light spectrums :confused:)

Thanks!

jayball
07/27/2016, 02:41 PM
Hi All

I currently have a 6 lamp ATI fixture with E5 Euroquatics LED lamps.
2x blue pop 2x warm daylight and 2x daylight.

In the morning and evening I only have the blue pop on and it really does get the coral to pop and look amazing.
The only “issue” I have is I seem to lose sight of my fish in that light (I know this is not really an issue).
I’ve tried swapping one blue pop out for one of the other lamps but then I just end up with this dull washed out blue look… and the coral is obviously not that vibrant any more.

So my question is.. is it really just one or the other? Or is there some other lamp that I can swap with one of my blue pops that will still give me some visibility of my fish but still get the coral to pop. I know Euroquatics are releasing a marine pink soon (no date yet) but will this be a good substitute or is marine pink used for something else (sorry, I'm not too clued up on light spectrums :confused:)

Thanks!

If you replace one of the blue pop with an ATI blue plus you will see much more color. The Blue pop is nothing but royal blue while a blue t-5 bulb is much broader spectrum:
This:
http://www.atinorthamerica.com/atiimages/products/bulbs_chart_blueplus_large.png
Vs. This:
http://www.euroquatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Blue-Pop.png

Your oranges and red's will still appear dark though, that is the nature of running blue bulbs.

Bpb
07/27/2016, 04:00 PM
Fish colors really don't pop under pure royal blue light. Corals do because they're fluorescent. Fish colors are only reflective pigments. If you take a yellow fish and hit it with pure blue light, it will look blue. Nature of the beast. When I ran LEDs, and had Royal blue dawn dusk all my fish were blue black and gray. Clown, tangs, foxface, wrasses, ect. All blue black and gray until you hit them with full spectrum light. Now the ATI blue plus bulb as previously mentioned may appear blue but as you can see there is a ton of green and cyan in there which will allow your true fish colors to show a little better. You haven't really seen fantastic fish colors until you see them under pure 10k metal halides. Yes the corals will brown out but the fish will be more vibrant than ever. It's all the yellow and red that allows their true colors to show. As long as you use pure Royal blue for dawn dusk, you will have drab fish color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk