PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen my pink face wrasse?

Watchm@n
07/27/2016, 10:26 AM
I put a pink face wrasse in my tank last Thursday, got him from my lfs.
He’d been in the shop for about 2 weeks or so and looked healthy and happy. Watched him feed at the store and he was all good.

Eventually got him into my tank… he cruised about for a while, an hour or so and didn’t look to be bothered.
Then suddenly, I couldn’t find him anywhere, just gone! No trace.
I’ve been feeding regularly and still nothing.

Then on the Saturday I see him peep out the rocks for literally 2 seconds or so…
I went and had a look around and couldn’t see him anymore…
He’s been missing since then, 4 days more or less…
During this time everyone else is being fed as usual twice daily… gamma garlic brine shrimp and some pellets.
The rest of them are all happy and normal:
2x Ocellaris Clowns, Magnificent Foxface, 3x Lyretail Anthias, Watchmen Goby, Pink Spot Goby, Royal Gramma, 2x Fire shrimp, 2x Cleaner shrimp, CUC

So is this guy likely to be a goner or is there a slim chance he is still hiding out in the rocks or buried himself in the sand for this long… also without any food?
There is a chance that he comes out to party while I am at work and then goes back into hiding as soon as I walk in the front door…

Or am I just holding on to a dream and he’s a goner?

Thanks!

scooter31707
07/27/2016, 10:39 AM
Have you looked on the floor or in the overflows? Wrasses do a good job hiding!

Watchm@n
07/27/2016, 12:06 PM
Yep checked all over the floor in the sump... everywhere

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

scooter31707
07/27/2016, 12:22 PM
Yep checked all over the floor in the sump... everywhere

Ok. Do you have a CUC? If he is not hiding, another option it could be dead and the CUC dispose of it fairly quickly.

joshky
07/27/2016, 12:40 PM
I saw him at dick's sporting goods the other day shopping for camping goods, one of the employees were helping him pitch a tent at the time.

:wildone: Sorry, I hope your wrasse is just being timid. It's really hard to say because wrasses can be very reclusive at first and death is always a possibility. That being said you may give up hope and then see him in a week or two, you just never know.

Watchm@n
07/27/2016, 12:43 PM
Ok. Do you have a CUC? If he is not hiding, another option it could be dead and the CUC dispose of it fairly quickly.
Yup.. have cuc. And that did cross my mind [emoji22]

Watchm@n
07/27/2016, 12:43 PM
I saw him at dick's sporting goods the other day shopping for camping goods, one of the employees were helping him pitch a tent at the time.

:wildone: Sorry, I hope your wrasse is just being timid. It's really hard to say because wrasses can be very reclusive at first and death is always a possibility. That being said you may give up hope and then see him in a week or two, you just never know.
Lol.. hopefully he'll be back with his tent 😂

anbosu
07/27/2016, 01:34 PM
I've had fish, especially wrasses, disappear for months at a time, only to reappear later.

pinnatus
07/27/2016, 02:05 PM
Wrasses are like that. I bet he re-surfaces.

lokmar
07/27/2016, 04:20 PM
My overflow has a good amount of algae in it and just about anything could go unnoticed in there. Hadnt seen my 6 line in a day or two so I went fishing around in the overflow and thats where I found him. Thankfully his jump didnt land him on the floor instead!

Marshall O
07/27/2016, 05:21 PM
They will eat pods too, so it won't starve. I'm guessing it is being shy as suggested.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

JohnnyHildo
07/27/2016, 06:21 PM
when i added my purple tang the yellow and purple wrasse in the tank took exception to it and took to the substrate. it was a full 3 weeks before it began sticking its face up and eventually re-emerged looking completely fine.
you'll see it again when the fish decides it's comfortable enough

Marshall O
07/27/2016, 07:18 PM
Fyi, this particular wrasse does not sleep in the sand. However I do think it is likely hiding.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Watchm@n
07/28/2016, 09:35 AM
Thanks all for the replies... fingers crossed this sucker shows up at some point

Watchm@n
07/30/2016, 03:38 AM
Well... after 9 days, I go have a look this am, and guest who is swimming about like nothing has happened... I'd pretty much written him off for dead... so now I've decided to name him Lazarus 😀