PDA

View Full Version : Re: nem, clowns, large damsels.

Sk8r
07/27/2016, 11:56 AM
I run a 105 g damsel tank, with a full-grown (4.5") dascyllus gold domino. I know dominos will settle in a magnifica in the wild, and they have pretty much the behaviors and manners of maroon clowns. I have other damsels, smaller ones, Fiji blues, etc. I have corals. LED lighting, high flow.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a nem to live toward the tank bottom(30" deep), maybe with ocellaris, who can live, I think, with a magnifica. I know that, in the wild, the domino will share a nem. Certainly she's too big to argue with. I have heard the magnifica is known to eat smaller fish...whether habit or size matters, I don't know.

Given all this---I'm inclined to think it's probably a bad idea to introduce a nem, and clowns, but wondering what people with experience think. My only experience with nems is, years ago, a monster carpet (took up 50 gallons of tank) and two bloodthirsty clarkiis that frightened the damsels.

nemguy
07/27/2016, 06:31 PM
That's an awesome tank got any pics? And if you get a magnifica it definitely won't stay towards te bottom they always crawl to the highest point they can for maximum flow and light hope this helps! Maybe a giant long tentacle or carpet those settle in sand beds so they will stay at the bottom of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThRoewer
07/28/2016, 12:31 AM
I found most fish to be smart enough to stay clear of anemones. Some seem to be well aware of the risks. My regals seem to be in that category as they seem to know when it is safe to steal food out of a gig and when not.

As for damsels, I have a Starcki with a large crispa and no issues. Another Starcki is with a gigantea, but that one is high up in the rocks where he hardly ever goes.

Sk8r
07/28/2016, 11:16 AM
Helpful info. This is the area where I'd like to have something---and this is my 800 lb gorilla. Who's a fun fish, but if she wants to get into something, she sure will. http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/x%20010.jpg