PDA

View Full Version : How I fixed my Reef Breeder light schedule.

youcallmenny
07/28/2016, 10:35 AM
This may be worth stickying.

I have a 48" v2 over my display and a 24" v2 over my 40b frag tank. Here I'm going to explain my experience lately in how I finally fixed my lighting schedule.

Initially I had my channels peaking at around 90% on most channels. I predictably nuked a bunch of coral. I started turning them down and adjusting ratios. Things got better but not what I was looking for.

So I finally emailed Logan to see what he had to say. Here is what I learned.

1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fav7c4yo9o...uide.xlsx?dl=0

Seriously, use this excel file. Understand it. The values there are a nice ratio written by Logan.

2: The values there cap out at 30% because they are starting values. SO, Logan has also mentioned most users cap out around 70% after bumping up 10% a week for light acclamation.

Tl;dr: Download spreadsheet, find the max intensity table and add 40 to each channel. Let the excel file update its main table and program your light with these numbers.

Another really important thing to notice here is that the ratio between channels remains consistent. I have anecdotally begun to feel that this helps.

kendrid
07/28/2016, 10:55 PM
Your Excel file gives a 404 for me.

I am considering the V2 lights vs my current black boxes so I appreciate your input. My black boxes run at 100% and I have no algae and slow coral growth. I just feel that I could do better with better lights.

mrpergo
07/29/2016, 05:54 AM
gives me a error 404 als0
this is the one Logan sent me and just started using the other day
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fav7c4yo9ouzh15/Photon%20V2%20Program%20Guide.xlsx?dl=0

youcallmenny
07/29/2016, 09:04 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fav7c4yo9ouzh15/Photon%20V2%20Program%20Guide.xlsx?dl=0

I'm just trying this again because I'm not sure why the error. 30 percent white/70 percent blue is really blue. Did you try the excel file schedule first?

youcallmenny
07/29/2016, 09:06 AM
I used Chinese black box leds for over a year before this. Looking back, had i ran them say like 70% blue and 50% white things would have gone better. Leds are stronger than they appear. I had the same slow to no growth. It was definitely my lights.

Your Excel file gives a 404 for me.

I am considering the V2 lights vs my current black boxes so I appreciate your input. My black boxes run at 100% and I have no algae and slow coral growth. I just feel that I could do better with better lights.

Ruckus16
08/01/2016, 05:50 AM
Mind posting your channel maxes?

reefteaser
08/09/2016, 06:55 AM
I've had the 50-V2 for almost 7 weeks. I started with the default program and slowly increased intensities and adjusted for color preference. This schedule is as of yesterday, still no signs of any stress. Quite the opposite, as color and growth have been substantially improved (mixed reef).
I think I'll increase one channel at a time going forward, starting with the violet. At the lower settings (first and last hours) the green and red channels make some interesting colors. I don't see them having much influence on the more intense set hours. I've read they are, for the most part, for aesthetics and don't benefit the coral much.

youcallmenny
08/11/2016, 01:05 PM
Mind posting your channel maxes?

Ch4:65%
Ch5:70%

youcallmenny
08/11/2016, 01:15 PM
Ch4:65%
Ch5:70%

Whoops...

Here is my maxes:
Ch1:35
Ch2:35
Ch3:50
Ch4:40
Ch5:55
Ch6:50

I hope this helps. Even the 70% maxes were way too much.

Ron Reefman
08/12/2016, 04:26 AM
I've had the 50-V2 for almost 7 weeks. I started with the default program and slowly increased intensities and adjusted for color preference. This schedule is as of yesterday, still no signs of any stress. Quite the opposite, as color and growth have been substantially improved (mixed reef).
I think I'll increase one channel at a time going forward, starting with the violet. At the lower settings (first and last hours) the green and red channels make some interesting colors. I don't see them having much influence on the more intense set hours. I've read they are, for the most part, for aesthetics and don't benefit the coral much.

I expect my V-2 50" here on Saturday.

Can I ask you why you bump your red and green leds up and down so much?

reefteaser
08/12/2016, 05:48 AM
No other reason than creating something of a dawn and dusk effect, and something pleasing to look at. I'm finding that when the other channels are low, the red and green has the most effect on the overall look. Not much of a difference when the intensity is higher. My understanding is that these colors don't do much for the coral, they are mainly for looks.
Changing the settings is not difficult, but a little tedious. Logan mentioned a app in development, I look forward to that. I'd prefer if the lights would ramp up or down to their next setting instead of an instant change every hour. These are my only negatives on the light, and really they're not a big deal especially when I see the overall improvement in my coral since I first turned it on. It's a great product, and so much less money than the Hydra and Kessil options I considered.

Ron Reefman
08/13/2016, 03:20 AM
Ah, interesting point. I hadn't considered the effect the red and green could have at dawn and dusk.

I've had the EverGrow version of the original Photon with my custom led layout for almost 4 years and I never had any issue with the hourly change of intensity. Unless you are looking at the tank when it changes, you'd never notice.

reefteaser
08/13/2016, 06:13 AM
Funny you say that because I'm noticing EVERTHING since the light change. I was using ecoxotic LED lights previously, and hadn't tried LEDs before. Big difference.

youcallmenny
08/14/2016, 11:48 AM
Yea sorry to say but the gradual up and down over the day is extremely noticeable and beautiful. Considering how much I watch my tank, I see the hourly shift actually happen several times a day, every day.

Reefer40b
09/24/2016, 08:40 PM
None of these links are working in this thread, maybe someone could update... Will be getting my light here in a couple days and want to set it up with a good starting schedule. Thanks!

Ron Reefman
09/25/2016, 05:38 AM
None of these links are working in this thread, maybe someone could update... Will be getting my light here in a couple days and want to set it up with a good starting schedule. Thanks!

The links in posts #3 & #4 both work for me. But I find it fairly useless as the intensity levels are so low (I understand they are for acclimation) and use a lot of red and green which I find fairly useless. One reason I wanted a fixture with full 6 channel control was so I could keep the red and green down to very, very low levels. On my old EverGrow IT2080 fixtures (like the old Photon) I just covered the reds and greens with black electrical tape. But I don't want zero, I want very low levels.

Ryan1190
09/25/2016, 10:01 AM
The links in posts #3 & #4 both work for me. But I find it fairly useless as the intensity levels are so low (I understand they are for acclimation) and use a lot of red and green which I find fairly useless. One reason I wanted a fixture with full 6 channel control was so I could keep the red and green down to very, very low levels. On my old EverGrow IT2080 fixtures (like the old Photon) I just covered the reds and greens with black electrical tape. But I don't want zero, I want very low levels.

You can put your own max values in the excel file and it adjusts the whole schedule to ramp up to those values for you.

Reefer40b
09/26/2016, 05:53 PM
I think my work proxy was blocking it cause yes link on post 3 and 4 are working. great thanks!

GrndHog
10/24/2016, 11:45 AM
Here's my schedule in week two. I'll probably use this for another three weeks and ramp up

http://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PlvbA2qI5Wci2V4X4Jg9DjLFDcIncJdGLqwnWbbC6I/edit

GrndHog
10/24/2016, 04:29 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PlvbA2qI5Wci2V4X4Jg9DjLFDcIncJdGLqwnWbbC6I/edit?usp=sharing

Reefer40b
10/28/2016, 04:33 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PlvbA2qI5Wci2V4X4Jg9DjLFDcIncJdGLqwnWbbC6I/edit?usp=sharing

Do you have any algae issues with that light schedule? seems like your tank will see light for over 12hrs...or am I somehow misunderstand your hours.

GrndHog
10/28/2016, 08:13 AM
I know what your saying but if anything my system is too clean. What I mean by that is for example, my filter socks last 5-7 days before I need to change them out. One other thing is my three turbo snails search high and low for algae to survive on.

Also, I don't have to clean my glass but once a week.

youcallmenny
10/29/2016, 11:47 AM
After a few months of tinkering with these lights, I just want to post my maxes. Everything up to and including SPS is growing very quickly.

Max Channel 1 Intensity 40
Max Channel 2 Intensity 40
Max Channel 3 Intensity 80
Max Channel 4 Intensity 60
Max Channel 5 Intensity 80
Max Channel 6 Intensity 75

No algae issues. Great color. Fast growth.

Reefer40b
10/30/2016, 01:35 AM
After a few months of tinkering with these lights, I just want to post my maxes. Everything up to and including SPS is growing very quickly.

Max Channel 1 Intensity 40
Max Channel 2 Intensity 40
Max Channel 3 Intensity 80
Max Channel 4 Intensity 60
Max Channel 5 Intensity 80
Max Channel 6 Intensity 75

No algae issues. Great color. Fast growth.

How many hours do you run at the max? Any chance you could upload the xcel chart with all the numbers in it rather than just the max values. Please and thank you!

youcallmenny
11/15/2016, 11:42 AM
How many hours do you run at the max? Any chance you could upload the xcel chart with all the numbers in it rather than just the max values. Please and thank you!

That max runs for 1 hour at 1400. Just download the original excel spreadsheet and input those numbers in the max values to see the whole schedule.