PDA

View Full Version : Hole in my toadstool

nbsdsailor
07/28/2016, 02:40 PM
Water parameters are normal. This hole started a few weeks ago and is slowly getting bigger. Doesn't seem to bother the coral as it still extends tentacles. Should I cut the hole out?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/117eed0c27d514b756a353a9b5718f5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbsdsailor
07/28/2016, 02:41 PM
Also hole is about an inch long now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlSimmons
07/28/2016, 03:14 PM
It might be trying to reproduce. That hole will probably continue to get bigger & bigger until a piece of the coral basically just falls off.

mcgyvr
07/28/2016, 04:20 PM
Water parameters are normal. This hole started a few weeks ago and is slowly getting bigger. Doesn't seem to bother the coral as it still extends tentacles. Should I cut the hole out?

cut the hole out to leave what... another hole :clown:

Its normal for soft corals to reproduce via splitting/dropping arms,etc..
More than likely perfectly normal and you may have 2 soon..

AJ69
07/30/2016, 02:34 PM
You could accelerate the splitting process, just get a sharp scissors and cut it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

xREEFINaintEZx
08/24/2016, 01:11 PM
From my experience if you decide to assist the coral by cutting, make sure it is fully retracted. If possible remove the leather to a container of tank water. When you cut into it its going to release toxins.

lifeoffaith
08/24/2016, 03:00 PM
yeah, allow it to do it's thing naturally. I had one reproduce like that. It took a while but it was cool because I then had another toadstool that I could sell. If you can rubber band it to a piece of rubble rock it will attach and then it's an easy piece to move around or sell/trade.

Kremis
08/24/2016, 08:25 PM
yeah, allow it to do it's thing naturally. I had one reproduce like that. It took a while but it was cool because I then had another toadstool that I could sell. If you can rubber band it to a piece of rubble rock it will attach and then it's an easy piece to move around or sell/trade.

+1
The toadstool is just attempting to reproduce, mine once had so many holes it looked like swiss cheese :lolspin: