PDA

View Full Version : replacement led diodes?

running scott
07/30/2016, 08:51 AM
Lots of my led diodes on my black box fixtures have burnt out. The fixtures are only two years old, so I'm kind of disappointed. Anyway what 3 watt replacement diodes do people buy? Cree, bridgelux? Only my Royal blues have burnt out . I guess because I have ran those for the most hours and at 80 percent.where do I buy them from? Will the replacements last longer than two years?

mcgyvr
07/30/2016, 09:42 AM
You buy diodes that are identical to the ones in the fixture as the circuit boards have a solder pad pattern specific to a specific type/brand of LED..

Take pictures if you need help figuring out which ones you have.. some "~accurate" dimensional measurements wouldn't hurt either..

And any LED fixture where the LEDs don't last at a minimum of 30,000 hours is inferior.. IMO..

My oceanrevive arctic s026 LED black boxes are going on ~4 years I believe without a single diode failure..

running scott
07/30/2016, 10:29 AM
Didn't want to bash the brand mine are ocean revive t247 same brand as yours. Still think they were a great deal. I assumed that the part that you solder on was the same. So now I have another aspect to worry about? Do I need to get the Cree xt-e royal blue or bridgelux?

oreo57
07/30/2016, 12:09 PM
Didn't want to bash the brand mine are ocean revive t247 same brand as yours. Still think they were a great deal. I assumed that the part that you solder on was the same. So now I have another aspect to worry about? Do I need to get the Cree xt-e royal blue or bridgelux?
Haven't seen any that use other than Bridgelux eggs..
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1980026/29154364/0/1350578240/3w_Bridgelux_high_power_led_diode.jpg

One question that remains to be answered: Who carries the best ones???
Or are they all about the same?
Assumption would be OEM's get the best lots, everyone else.. not so much..

theatrus
07/30/2016, 01:31 PM
For the dome packs, it's too hard to tell. The diodes are from Bridgelux if they're Royal Blues, but packaged into those domes by a third party. Which diode lots they used is also unknown (not high grade likely). It's basically impossible to tell the quality off the line.

mcgyvr
07/30/2016, 02:58 PM

yep.. still very happy with them..

Again.. post up some pictures if you don't know what diode is in them..
The pads are NOT the same at all...

But yes.. they are more than likely those "eggs" as oreo calls them..
Easy to source on ebay,etc...

Heck I'd call oceanrevive first.. They might be able to just ship you out some and even repair it for you if you want..

running scott
07/30/2016, 06:39 PM
Yes I'm communication with ocean revive customer service, they give a fast response to any questions. I just don't want to replace these burnt out diodes, then do it again in two years or less. One of the main reasons for changing from MH/t8 combo to the LEDs was so I wouldn't have to change bulbs every two years.

orly20
11/23/2017, 06:44 AM

Hi there

I know it’s an old thread. It what did you finally end up doing w the OR burnt led’s?
I’m having the same issue and don’t know where to look.

running scott
11/25/2017, 08:02 AM
Hi there

I know it’s an old thread. It what did you finally end up doing w the OR burnt led’s?

I’m having the same issue and don’t know where to look.

OR sent me replacement led diodes. I found out that I’m not good at soildering, heck I can’t even spell it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orly20
11/25/2017, 08:36 AM
Lol I’m going to give it a go and see what happens

Did you go with another different light fixture?

running scott
11/25/2017, 05:28 PM
Yes, I replaced them with viparspectra. Like them better, still very similar they even use the exact same remote. These lights are so inexpensive that it’s just not worth it to stress over trying to fix them.

running scott
12/01/2017, 11:27 AM
Lol I’m going to give it a go and see what happens

Did you go with another different light fixture?

Yes, I bought Viparspectra. Basically the same, but even less expensive. I keep reading other reefers complaints about even high end lights failing. Can’t justify expensive less fixture until someone comes out with one that lasts!

blasterman789
12/01/2017, 12:31 PM
Gotta be thermal inrush causing all the failures on these boards. The endurance / MTF hit going from generic 1watt diodes to 3watt (2.5)diodes is pretty huge with black boxes.

I have DIY rigs approaching 75k hours, but they are star soldered.

mcgyvr
12/01/2017, 01:25 PM
Gotta be thermal inrush causing all the failures on these boards. The endurance / MTF hit going from generic 1watt diodes to 3watt (2.5)diodes is pretty huge with black boxes.

I have DIY rigs approaching 75k hours, but they are star soldered.

From my experience there are 2 main things that are causing premature LED failures in this industry and all others..
#1-Cold solder joints
#2-Improper thermal management leading to higher than recommended junction temperatures..

Then there is also the lens degradation of "near UV" diodes due to the higher energies related to the shorter wavelength..

I've bought a handful of "household" LED bulbs over the years and roughly 50% of them have failed early... 100% of them were failures due to one of the 2 main wires breaking off where it connects from the socket base to the metal clad LED board due to an initially cold solder joint..

orly20
12/01/2017, 07:57 PM
Yes, I bought Viparspectra. Basically the same, but even less expensive. I keep reading other reefers complaints about even high end lights failing. Can’t justify expensive less fixture until someone comes out with one that lasts!

Ok, I ordered the diodes $13 shipped and I also just purchased another OR brand new unit for $168 shipped

I try to switch the diodes and keep the fixture for a qt tank or frag tank setup.

Scott, the Viparspectra fixtures look like plant grow lights. Would you please send me the link you got your from?

Thx

orly20
12/01/2017, 08:01 PM
The OR fixture w issues was 3 years old and it was the T247 not the newer version, T247B, which supposedly resolved the 450nm diodes to burnouts. I have a T247B for two years now w no issues.

I’ll wait and see happens