PDA

View Full Version : Help! Pipefish has what looks like a pimple on mouth!

misspenaltybox
07/31/2016, 06:41 PM
Hello, my fiance and I purchased an alligator pipefish on Saturday. Today we noticed that he had what looks like a pimple, red bump with a white head. I have attached pictures. He cannot eat. We have put him in a hospital tank and treating with Furan 2. However, I'm worried I may have to syringe feed him if we do not see him eat soon. Anyone know what this is or have any advice?

He was in a tank only with other pipefish and seahorses. All of whom we have had for some time.

rvareef
07/31/2016, 06:53 PM
tell him to lay off the pipe so his immune system can recover

BlueCat1949
08/01/2016, 07:18 AM
Looks like a bad case of snout rot. I don't know if you can save him at this point. Force feeding may not be possible due to the amount of damage to the snout. Sorry I don't know what to tell you but maybe someone else will have advice. It doesn't sound like you quarantined your new purchase which maybe a problem for the other pipes and horses.

misspenaltybox
08/02/2016, 03:50 PM
The place we got him from keeps them in quarantine for you before you buy, as we got him as a special order. We've never had an issue with their fish before now.

We put him in his own take and are using Furan 2. We did use a syringe to feed him some yesterday morning and he definitely got some in, some he spit out. We then got a nutrient pack to put in the water to stimulate his appetite and that will give him the necessary vitamins and such to survive through absorption. So far we do not really notice a change.

How long would it take for snot rot to get worse?