PDA

View Full Version : Best source of CUC to avoid disease?

houstonreefer20
07/31/2016, 10:06 PM
Ok all,

I finally have my 150 up and running again, and cycling. Next up will be for me to get the clean up crew going, and I wanted to get some feedback.

What's everyones favorite place to get their clean up crew from? I'm overly paranoid now of getting Ich again, and want to play it super safe. So figured I'd ask and see what people say.

If no one has a 'safe' answer, what's the easiest way to quarantine a CUC? I can setup a new 10 gallon tank (and unfortunately, let it set without fish for 30+ days), but do I just toss in a piece of shrimp and let them much on that? Or does anyone have a better idea?

ThRoewer
07/31/2016, 11:39 PM
Unless the snail and hermits were cultured in a closed disease free and fishless system you always have to consider them potentially contaminated.
To my knowledge CUC's are always collected wild.

I find the ideal way to QT them is to add them to a new tank during the cycling period, way before you add fish. That way you don't need to worry much about them and they can keep algae down right from the start.

If you have to quarantine them separately because they are destined for an existing system it is best to set up a tank near a south window or with sufficient light to get algae grow. I would also add some rock, ideally at least some real live rock, as substrate for algae growth. You will also need to feed them.
I usually keep them isolated for 2 months, but if your concern is ich I would suggest to go at least 3 months.

ThRoewer
07/31/2016, 11:40 PM
Forgot one thing: expect high losses in a QT, so buy twice as much as you think you need.

Spar
08/01/2016, 06:13 AM
Forgot one thing: expect high losses in a QT, so buy twice as much as you think you need.

I have a friend who experienced this recently. Any idea why CUC does not do well in QT? He fed them Nori and algae pellets, and some fish pellets. Was a cycled tank and maintained normal parameters. I couldn't give him a good answer, but I know many people experience the same.

houstonreefer20
08/01/2016, 10:43 AM
I find the ideal way to QT them is to add them to a new tank during the cycling period, way before you add fish. That way you don't need to worry much about them and they can keep algae down right from the start.

How does putting them in a new tank with no fish make things more ideal? I'm guessing the tank would still need to sit without fish for 30+ days, correct? Would appreciate knowing more about how this helps.

Spar
08/01/2016, 10:47 AM
How does putting them in a new tank with no fish make things more ideal? I'm guessing the tank would still need to sit without fish for 30+ days, correct? Would appreciate knowing more about how this helps.

The risk is that they bring in Ich with them. Whereas CUC can't be infected, the parasite can hitchhike in on the shell in the Tomont stage.

You'd need to leave the CUC fishless for 72 days to be as close to sure as possible.

m0nkie
08/01/2016, 12:52 PM
algae waffers. CUC love that stuff. Just drop a pellet or two in.

Don't need to QT the CUC for a new tank. If you are worried, put the CUC in the DT and leave it fishless for 3 months. That's the only way to guarantee your CUC is clean. TTM won't work. Copper will kill them. Hypo may also kill them.

I've always bought mine from John @ Reefcleaners. healthy stuff. but tends to be very very small

ThRoewer
08/01/2016, 02:38 PM
I have a friend who experienced this recently. Any idea why CUC does not do well in QT? He fed them Nori and algae pellets, and some fish pellets. Was a cycled tank and maintained normal parameters. I couldn't give him a good answer, but I know many people experience the same.

I suspect aggression.
Also, hermits often kill snails, if for nothing else than their shells.
Another issue is likely water quality which is usually not as well observed as with more pricey additions.