PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going through the wall

Yellow_donkey
08/02/2016, 10:24 AM
So I have my DT near the front foyer and against the wall which marries the 3rd bedrooms closet. That closet is what I am considering.

I would need o keep the opening as small as possible as when take does come down the opening faces the front door and would need to be removed itself.

What is the minimum opening size, thinking about it, do I need anything side from the 1.25 overflow line and .75 return?

Does anyone know of any good threads that discuss this?

billdogg
08/02/2016, 02:37 PM
Access for electrical will be nice as well. When I had my 150 set up witha fish room behind it, I used 2 x 6" PVC couplers to run 2 x 2" and 2 x 1" drain lines to the sump, as well as 4 x 3/4" returns. I also ran the wiring for the lights and a couple power heads through the holes.

When I took it down it took all of 20 minutes and a small piece of drywall and spackle to make the holes disappear.

I would suggest making the hole(s) a bit larger than you might need just to make life easier. Patching drywall is cheap and easy.

Yellow_donkey
08/06/2016, 07:24 PM
Access for electrical will be nice as well. When I had my 150 set up witha fish room behind it, I used 2 x 6" PVC couplers to run 2 x 2" and 2 x 1" drain lines to the sump, as well as 4 x 3/4" returns. I also ran the wiring for the lights and a couple power heads through the holes.

When I took it down it took all of 20 minutes and a small piece of drywall and spackle to make the holes disappear.

I would suggest making the hole(s) a bit larger than you might need just to make life easier. Patching drywall is cheap and easy.

Thank you very much. Please have a sit down with my wife and explain how easy drywall is to patch! Otherwise, she will literally throw something at me if I bring it up.

joshbrookkate
08/06/2016, 07:48 PM
I use the closet in the spare room as my fish room, too. LOVE IT!
I keep finding great uses for that space, including my Apex, my powerhead and return pump controllers, brute bins on carts for ATO and AWC systems, and my battery backup. I also added more shelves for storing GFO, etc. So my advice is drill enough holes to fit many cords and hoses. I have no regrets. Using the closet keeps the noise down, makes it easy to do top-ups and make wiring changes. And it keeps the clutter down in my sump area.
Tell your wife I'll be happy to tell her how easy it is to repair holes in drywall.

Yellow_donkey
08/06/2016, 10:57 PM
I use the closet in the spare room as my fish room, too. LOVE IT!
I keep finding great uses for that space, including my Apex, my powerhead and return pump controllers, brute bins on carts for ATO and AWC systems, and my battery backup. I also added more shelves for storing GFO, etc. So my advice is drill enough holes to fit many cords and hoses. I have no regrets. Using the closet keeps the noise down, makes it easy to do top-ups and make wiring changes. And it keeps the clutter down in my sump area.
Tell your wife I'll be happy to tell her how easy it is to repair holes in drywall.

Everything you just mentioned plus 4 dose containers and pump is all crammed like origami under my 24x24 stand. It is unreal how tight everything is. Plus I am stuck with a 18 inch sump. Wow the relief of having an entire closet would be unreal! And the noise!

I gots to figure out a way to do this, like you said 20 minutes when I move out to patch.

Thanks for the ideas! I will make this happen.

billdogg
08/07/2016, 06:07 AM
When I plumbed my current 120DT, I waited until she was away for the weekend. It made punching holes in the living room wall much easier. Although my sump is under the stand, I needed more electrical outlets and figured that while I was there, I might as well plumb in the water line fro, the basement for top off's and water changes. When she got home, I got a "You did WHAT?", but when she realized how much easier it would make things (no schlepping buckets up the steps) she got on board with it.

Just google "how to patch drywall" and show her a couple youtube videos. It really is very easy.

joshbrookkate
08/07/2016, 07:37 AM
When I plumbed my current 120DT, I waited until she was away for the weekend. It made punching holes in the living room wall much easier. Although my sump is under the stand, I needed more electrical outlets and figured that while I was there, I might as well plumb in the water line fro, the basement for top off's and water changes. When she got home, I got a "You did WHAT?", but when she realized how much easier it would make things (no schlepping buckets up the steps) she got on board with it.

Just google "how to patch drywall" and show her a couple youtube videos. It really is very easy.

This is almost word for word what my husband's response was when he saw the holes. But like, Billdog, he likes the benefits. So we're good.

Michelle