PDA

View Full Version : Fish for those new to the hobby

JAnwyl
08/02/2016, 06:46 PM
I wanted to create a list of those fish that are a little more friendly to those new to the hobby and wondering what could be a good addition. I'm gonna start with a few. Add some or tell me im nuts about others.

Ocellaris (true and false percula) Clownfish
Skunk Clownfish
Coral Beauty
Pajama Cardinalfish
Banggai Cardinalfish
Azure Damselfish
Yellowtail Damselfish
Humbug Damselfish
Domino Damselfish
Royal Gramma Basslet
Snowflake Eel (Hopped into attached filter to often)
Bicolor Blenny
Lawnmower blenny
Midas Blenny
Blue/Green Reef Chromis
Dottyback
Flame Angelfish
Black-Finned Butterflyfish
Auriga Butterflyfish
Raccoon Butterflyfish
Firefish
Green Clown Goby
Orange Spotted Goby
Sleeper Banded Goby
Diamond Watchman Goby
Pink Spotted Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Four Lined Wrasse
Six Lined Wrasse
Clown Goby

vhuang168
08/02/2016, 07:13 PM
Ocellaris and Percula are 2 distinct species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoReefer970
08/02/2016, 10:18 PM
6 line wrasse (can go murderous)

Bent
08/03/2016, 08:56 AM
This is a very vague subject. Friendly to newbies could mean a lot of things. If we are talking just sheer hardiness there are plenty of fish in that department. But even the hardiest of fish still have their caveats and needs.

You need to research each individual fish and how they will react to your specific situation.

Sk8r
08/03/2016, 09:00 AM
Tank size rules all. None of the damsels under 50 gallons, and then only 1. 100 gallons and over, multiple damsels, generally one of a kind, are fine.
Some on your list eat corals. If you want corals, they're a no. Most all of them take 100 gallons and over.
Blennies and gobies and paired clowns are ok in a tank of 50 gallons down to 30, but only so many. Plan on an adult size of 4" for most.

GimpyFin
08/03/2016, 09:09 AM
A lot of easier fish on this list, but Bent makes a good point. Other factors should be placed into consideration for those new to the hobby, like aggression. Dottybacks can be turds kinds like the 6 lines, even though they're fairly hardy. Same with damsels. People often get them because they are almost bullet proof, not understanding their behavior, but later on are trying to figure a way to get them out of the tank because they are bullying everybody.

nereefpat
08/03/2016, 10:20 AM
This is a very vague subject. Friendly to newbies could mean a lot of things. If we are talking just sheer hardiness there are plenty of fish in that department. But even the hardiest of fish still have their caveats and needs.

You need to research each individual fish and how they will react to your specific situation.

Great post here.

One example from the OP's list is the diamond goby. They like to go carpet surfing . And usually they deplete the sand of life, then starve to death.

There is a beginner section on LA FYI, and it looks like most of their selection is appropriate.

2015GaTor
08/03/2016, 11:33 AM
+1. I went to the LFS that I trust and they said you should wait several months before putting any sand-sifting gobies in your tank, since they can run out of food quickly. I really want a diamond spot goby as well. Have to wait alteast 6 more weeks before I can get one.

Great post here.

One example from the OP's list is the diamond goby. They like to go carpet surfing . And usually they deplete the sand of life, then starve to death.

There is a beginner section on LA FYI, and it looks like most of their selection is appropriate.

scooter31707
08/03/2016, 12:16 PM
IMO, the Flame Angel and the Raccoon Butterfly may not be suited for beginners as they can be a work of art. They are hardy if healthy and already eating.

JAnwyl
08/03/2016, 12:17 PM
It would be nice to know which fish are not reef safe and the recommendation to put Sand Sifting Gobies in after the tank has had a little while to become established. I personally have not had a reef in around 5 years and although I still have some skills I do not want to rush and would be interested in what is considered hardier and also what fish do not play well with what corals. I'm looking at avoiding some things such as Tangs in a 10 gallon.

JAnwyl
08/03/2016, 12:24 PM
This is a very vague subject.

What else besides food, gallons (potential growth size), reefsafe and compatibility (fish and coral) should be taken into account?

Also besides LA does anyone have any Online stores they trust? I've done research online but besides LA all my shopping has been from a trustworthy LFS.

Bent
08/03/2016, 12:54 PM
What else besides food, gallons (potential growth size), reefsafe and compatibility (fish and coral) should be taken into account?

Also besides LA does anyone have any Online stores they trust? I've done research online but besides LA all my shopping has been from a trustworthy LFS.

That's pretty much it.

For example:

A marine Betta is pretty much the abrams Tank of marine aquariums. Its probably one of the hardiest fish you can buy. But size wise they get pretty big and are capable of eating all but the largest of tank mates. So unless you plan for one, a "beginner fish" will cause you a lot of headaches.